PDA

View Full Version : New Crocea clam help

dcw1sfu
07-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Hey bought a crocea clam and have never owned one before. It small and I have it on the sandbed trying to get it attach to a frag disk. I have dremmled out of the frag disk for it to sit in but over the course of a day it is off the disk sittin in the sand again. From my understanding these should not be sitting right in the sand. Any ideas on how to get this bugger to attach without moving?

I have now placed it in a small Tupperware on the frag disk hoping it attached. This a good idea?

dino
07-18-2016, 09:51 PM
I think it ok as long as you lighting is strong enough but I'm no expert on clams

dcw1sfu
07-18-2016, 09:54 PM
Lighting is very strong I actually have it in a little bit lower light right now to acclimate. I'm thinking it might be the flow that is not allowing it to attach so I turned down my flow in the tank for now. It was rocking back and forth on the frags plug in the Tupperware container. It's not swaying now.

Ryanerickson
07-19-2016, 01:02 AM
I have always kept clams in my sand bed with no issues at all I think people are worried about them being hurt in some way thru the foot by a worm or something.

davej
07-19-2016, 02:27 AM
Hey bought a crocea clam and have never owned one before. It small and I have it on the sandbed trying to get it attach to a frag disk. I have dremmled out of the frag disk for it to sit in but over the course of a day it is off the disk sittin in the sand again. From my understanding these should not be sitting right in the sand. Any ideas on how to get this bugger to attach without moving?

I have now placed it in a small Tupperware on the frag disk hoping it attached. This a good idea?

With the price of a clam being what it is, one of these seems a good investment!

http://www.jlaquatics.com/thrive-aquatics-clam-kit.html

Myka
07-19-2016, 02:42 AM

I wouldn't be messing with a new clam. I usually place a clam into a scallop shell that is bigger than the clam, and if he jumps off I leave him be. I won't touch a new clam for several weeks unless absolutely necessary.

TimT
07-19-2016, 03:48 AM
Clams don't like it when the current moves the mantle. If the current is rocking the clam then find a different spot or change flow pattern.

Several reasons I avoided putting clams on sand; worms attacking the clam from underneath, they blow the sand around when they suddenly close and they will attach to the bottom of the tank unless you have a 3"+ deep sandbed.

It's best to give the clam something small to attach to. A small rock up to 4" or shells are fine. This is so that if you need to manually remove parasitic snails the clam can be easily removed from the tank. Clams can firmly attach in 16hrs if they are healthy and happy. New clams will jerk their shells closed if a fish passes near, this can cause them to tip over etc. Cleaner shrimp may irritate clams.

Crocea's like the most amount of light. I have seen them under full sun in 6" of water. I would put it in a brightly lit spot within a day.

If your clam is smaller than 2" I would feed it some phytoplankton.

Hope that helps.

dcw1sfu
07-24-2016, 08:27 PM
wll heres the update. I ended up buying that thrive clam kit and placed the clam in on of the concaved stones provided. It was quite happy for the few days. Was feeding the tank with phyto as well. This morning i found it on its side in the sand beside the concave stone. I placed it back in the stone but it looks to be a goner.... Oh well $200 bucks down the drain haha just part of the hobby.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o619/dcw1sfu/20160724_131538.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o619/dcw1sfu/20160724_131544.jpg

TimT
07-25-2016, 12:44 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Tyfighter
07-25-2016, 03:05 AM
That sucks, I hope my maxima doesn't end up the same.

dcw1sfu
07-25-2016, 04:29 AM
I left it in the tank for now but I'm guessing there is no chance for this guy to make a come back.

TimT
07-25-2016, 05:57 AM
When they are very tiny like that they are extremely sensitive. When they suck in the byssal gland like that it's a very bad sign.