PDA

View Full Version : changing substrate

Invigor
11-09-2004, 12:56 AM
ok. I have ugly crushed coral that seems to attract diatoms (that brown algae) and i've noticed from a 33g fish tank I have with sugar sand, it doesn't brown.

Is there a way I can change my sandbed without causing too much of a catastrophe in my tank? I've got a 60x20x20 tank with about 1-2" of crushed coral. There's a smokin deal on sand right now in regina and was wanting to change. Any pros or cons? I've got about 80lbs of live rock to move, but that shouldn't be too much of a hassle, they're mostly large pieces.

also, in repiles, am I wrong about sugar sand? does it trap diatoms and become ugly brownish?

the tank has been up for about 1 year

Aquattro
11-09-2004, 01:54 AM
I'd say it's more atank issue than a substrate issue. I've seen diatoms all over sugar sand before. If you have it with crushed coral, you'll likely get it on sugar sand.

Invigor
11-09-2004, 02:04 AM
I've come across a new problem that I think needs more attention.

GLASS ANEMONES

doh!

gonna try the hot hot water trick, and if no luck there, then kalkwasser..orrrrrrr combine the two :idea:

Coldwater
11-09-2004, 02:08 AM
Are glass anemones the little white looking ones? I have quite a few on the back of my tank. Are they bad?

Matt

Edited: Hey are they the little stinging guys that kill fish?

Cap'n
11-09-2004, 02:17 AM
You're probably talking about aiptasia, yes they are a problem.

Skip the kalk additive to the boiling water, I haven't seen it add much benefit. If you get them with the hot water it will be enough. But, you don't always "get" them. They are surprisingly fast and will retract far enough to avoid the jet of boiling water. So you have to get that one next round. There will be many rounds...

I agree that the substrate change will not cure the diatom issue. However, I say go for it while you can get a good deal on the sand, you will not regret it. I bought my tank as a complete system and it came with crushed coral. The switch-out was a big pain but was worth every bit of effort. Looks much nicer and all the inhabitants look more comfortable.

My tip: get every morsel of the old substrate you can. It will be surprisingly obvious after the switch.

Invigor
11-09-2004, 02:32 AM
i was thinking of using a strainer or a net..there's about 30lbs of sand in there on one side of the tank so it's worth keeping.

these anemone's didn't really retract when i sprayed them..so i hooked an airhose up to a syringe and sucked about 20 out :|

and I used a bit of buffering stuff too, it's not kalk, it's seachem reef builder..same kinda thing?

and it wasn't boiling. it was hot tap water put in the microwave for 2 minutes..the bowl hurt to hang on to so musta been warm enough

Cap'n
11-09-2004, 02:46 AM
Nope. Not hot enough. I boil the kettle and fill a coffee mug. By the time I get about half way through the cup it is no longer hot enough to kill. They are tough little critters.

Hope the syphon works, that sounds quick and simple! Keep me updated.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Ocean Aquatics sells Joe's Juice for killing aptaisia & it works pretty good. Turn off power heads, turn down filter returns, fill the included syringe with some white stuff (shaken, not stirred) :lol: & have fun watching the stinging Bleeps melt. I then use my turkey baster to clear any stuff off my surrounding corals. Yes, as advertised, it is actually reef safe & I have BTA clones in the same tank.

Corey
11-09-2004, 06:30 AM
I just used kalk to kill mine, you dont have to inject them, just make a thick paste and squirt it on their "mouths" works like a charm, I have no aiptasia.

danny zubot
11-09-2004, 02:24 PM
I have found that using a turkey baister to do the boiling water method workes very well. It also alows you to suck the remains out after they are scorched. :evil:

Cap'n
11-09-2004, 10:21 PM
I have found that using a turkey baister to do the boiling water method workes very well. It also alows you to suck the remains out after they are scorched. :evil:

That's the way I do it.