PDA

View Full Version : Clown eggs

Treebeard
07-10-2016, 11:13 PM
I just discovered that my clowns have been busy when I was doing a water change today. They have a bunch of eggs stuck to the back glass of the tank. From what I read, it is possible to scoop them out of the tank when they hatch and put them in a nursery tank, but I have nothing prepared, and unfortunately I will be away for 3 weeks soon and not be around to take care of them.
I have a smaller tank, part of the same system that grows nothing but algae and pods, and was wondering if put the fry in the small tank if they would fend for themselves. There is a pistol shrimp and goby in the small tank which I could easily rehome if necessary.

FishyFishy!
07-11-2016, 12:55 AM
Not worth the effort. They wont make it far unless you have a dedicated breeding system.

Craigdillman
07-11-2016, 01:40 AM
Yea my clowns breed every chance like clock work cool to see and usually a good sign happy and healthy fish (if they feel safe and spawn) and good water quality .

But unfortunately the effort involved in capturing and raising/breeding is a whole different beast, try google it one time it needs whole set ups and usually rotifers and not to mention time

Treebeard
07-11-2016, 02:10 AM
That's what I figured. These two have been together for a few years and have likely been feeding their tank mates with live food long before I noticed.

Dearth
07-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Yup my clowns have a lot of fun occasionally the eggs the female lays get to hatch but more often than not within days of laying the eggs they are all gone and I have fatter fish.

As to hatching them like others stated it is very labour intensive and requires a certain amount of dedication and TLC 24/7 for the first few weeks