PDA

View Full Version : unusual host?

Tarolisol
11-08-2004, 10:39 PM
well my clowns decided it would be in there best interest to move into a flower pot coral (gonipora). Im not sure if this is ok for the coral though. somtimes it seems to hate it other times maybe not.

http://www.geocities.com/seanward84/135-3599_IMG_2.JPG

Azilla
11-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Its polyps can extend far past its base into the reef aquarium, where it can sting other species of corals. Clownfish are in direct association with the Branched gonipora Coral and will often play in its polyps if no anemone can be found in the reef aquarium.

what i found :biggrin:

Tarolisol
11-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Ok so im goin to assume everything will be ok. Thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Actually, flowerpots are hard enough to keep (not what you wanted to hear, right) :rolleyes: & I found that when clowns host in a coral, that coral often stops opening up fully & slowly deteriorates. It's fine in tough stuff, like leathers, but I wouldn't risk it with a flowerpot. Again, just my $.02.

Tarolisol
11-09-2004, 05:31 AM
yeah ive heard there hard to keep. but i got it for free so i figured id try it. so far 6 months and it seems ok hasnt shrunk but hasnt grown that i can tell either. I hope once i find a BTA the clowns will host in that.

roverT
11-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Hi, I read in the book Clownfishes that clowns will often take a flowerpot over an anemone as a host and yes it probably will eventually harm the flowerpot.

Trevor

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-09-2004, 07:03 AM
6 months & going strong. Very good. Most never last even that long. I tried one that was "perfect" to begin with (no dead spots) to give myself the best chance, but it lasted only 4 months. :cry: Learned my lesson.

danny zubot
11-09-2004, 02:15 PM
My buddy had a beatiful torch coral (like the one in my avatar only bigger) and his percs used to host it. Until one day they just started to rip it a part. I don't know why but they did it to his riteri as well. :evil:

Buccaneer
11-09-2004, 02:38 PM
I have a Ocellaris pair that jump between a Torch and a Hammer coral ... they have been doing this for almost a year with no ill effects to the corals.

Tarolisol
11-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Sometimes the coral doesnt seem to mind but other times it flateneds out and the clown cant figure out what happened to his home, she just lies on it wondering. Oh and is there anyway to make the post automaticly resize teh picture?

Edmonton Eskimo
11-10-2004, 02:24 AM
That is an awesome pic :eek:

Tarolisol
11-10-2004, 06:08 AM
That is an awesome pic :eek:

thanks, it probly the only good pick ive ever got of my tank.

kooltank
11-13-2004, 06:48 AM
i hope i can tame my maroon doing that

Tarolisol
11-13-2004, 09:04 AM
haha i love this pick its great dont mean to toot my own horn but... wait yes i do its a great pic. :mrgreen:

sumpfinfishe
11-13-2004, 05:25 PM
My two skunk's take host in about four different corals, all of which have been happy and healthy, although the torch colonie sometimes takes a mini beating. As for your flowerpot, I think you know the bad new's by now-sorry.
Oh yeah, great shot by the way!

DukeB
11-13-2004, 07:41 PM
I have two percula clowns hosting in a purple flowerpot. The coral hated it at first. I was trying to catch the two of them without ripping down the tank. However, I have since changed my mind. All is well with my purple flowerpot and my clown fish have a new home :smile: Been that way for a number of months now.

Tarolisol
11-14-2004, 04:23 AM
It would seem now the the coral is really not immpressed. It closed up for a day and is slowly emmerging now. It coral is a little off right now as well hopefully the clowns got the hint.