PDA

View Full Version : I never knew tangs can jump :(

Tarolisol
11-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Well though id share my experiance. My favorite fish my blue/regal/hippo tang jumped outa my tank somtime this morning. I never in a million years though he would jump. I am currently in mourning. :sad:
Any one know where i can get another blue tang in calgary. :sad:

AJ_77
11-08-2004, 08:28 PM
:eek: Wow - that sucks. :frown:

Seen them all over town lately, though... Gold, Ocean, Wai's. All around 50 bucks or so. The bigger ones were cheaper at Gold, of course, but you should go on a Friday to get one.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-09-2004, 05:26 AM
That s#cks buddy. My beautiful tile fish jumped a couple days after I got him, even with plastic netting over my tank. It knocked over a plastic container to get out through my filter hole on the top-back of my plexi. I almost know how you feel (silver lining - I didn't have it long enough to get too attached but tilefish are my fav fish). Goes to show, we can only provide the best care we know how. If the animal decides to kamikaze, not much we can do, eh?

Tarolisol
11-09-2004, 05:34 AM
if think theres an epidemic. I had to save my koi from the floor the other day to, luckly i found him in time. He jump right through my egg create top and when i mean through i mean he knocked the hole cover off. when will fish realize they cant fly.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Tonight, my new Scissortail Goby/Dartfish didn't even wait to get in the tank. It jumped out of the bag floating on top of my tank to go check out my stereo system on the book shelves nearby. Guess it wanted to make sure it was a Sony & could play some soothing CDs or something :lol: Luckily, not too banged up before I tossed it back in. I even had my plastic screening cut & ready. Go figure.

EmilyB
11-09-2004, 08:24 PM
We were sitting there watching TV the other nite and an anthias came flying by. Tossed it back in without detriment.

Dollar to a donut tho, it's the one I now need to trap somehow because it's becoming the second male. :rolleyes:

Tarolisol
11-09-2004, 10:17 PM
I think it must be somthing to do with the moon all these fish trying to commit suicide.

AJ_77
11-13-2004, 11:55 PM
CRAP - last night our small Mandarin flew, too... :evil: Had no IDEA those things could fly - something must have spooked her. That's a terrible sight, those beautiful markings all dried up and black... :sad:

Deb, if your anthias needs a home, let me know.
(woops - maybe not? "It will not harm inverts, but is not well suited to brightly lit shallow water reef tanks... It might also lose it's color in a brightly lit reef tank.")

:confused:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-14-2004, 12:58 AM
Here's a new conspiracy theory.

Our fish can read. They logged onto CanReef after lights out, read about other fish flying, & thought "Hey, I can do that too. Onwaaards & Upwaaards to Freeeeedom!" Splat!!! :lol: :lol:

Just a theory. Still collecting proof, although my keyboard was damp this morning when I booted up. Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm" :lol:

Skimmerking
11-14-2004, 04:06 AM
the weather must be changing then.

Time for a bigger tank or a bigger house.

mike :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-06-2004, 08:11 PM
This morning my clownfish was so happy to see my wife it jumped out of our 35g hex to land at her feet. Good timing, since she quickly picked it up & tossed in back in. The little one went up to the jumper to see what was wrong & now, several hours later, none the worse for wear.

Never knew clownfish are so acrobatic.

Anthony

Tarolisol
12-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Crazy fish what are they thinking, and why on earth do they feel they need to jump out of there nice homes.

Bob I
12-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Maybe because it is not the ocean where jumping would not hurt them :question: Let's face it, what you call a nice home is glass box prison. :eek:

Tarolisol
12-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Well then maybe we should all just tare down our tanks and forget this hobby all together, you first BOB

G1GY
12-07-2004, 03:10 AM
I found a dried clown on the carpet last week also! :sad:

Maybe I should think about some kind of top.

hawk
12-07-2004, 03:22 AM
Maybe I should think about some kind of top.

sounds like alot of people should.

Tarolisol
12-07-2004, 03:36 AM
Most tops are not good for gas exchange and glass tops will most likly break if you have metal halide lights, the lights will heat the glass and if any water splashes on the glass bang there goes the top. also if thers a wire mesh for a top there no way you can take it off for feeding you would have to ware oven mitts.

Bob I
12-07-2004, 03:37 AM
Well then maybe we should all just tare down our tanks and forget this hobby all together, you first BOB

Nope I don't lose fish through jumping because I have always kept a top on my tanks. I don't like to lose expensive fish. :rolleyes:

Tarolisol
12-07-2004, 03:43 AM
HAHA yeah i dont enjoy losing fish either, there are so many things on top of my tanks light hoods and stuff i never imagined a fish let alone a fairly large tang would get out.

StirCrazy
12-07-2004, 05:11 AM
what other fish do you have in that tank?

Steve

Tarolisol
12-07-2004, 05:13 AM
If your talking to me i have a yellow tang, bi colour blenny and two false clowns. :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
12-07-2004, 05:15 AM
If your talking to me i have a yellow tang, bi colour blenny and two false clowns. :mrgreen:

How big of a tank? it is quite possable the yellow tank chased it out of the tank if they felt there wasn't enuf room.

Steve

Tarolisol
12-07-2004, 05:18 AM
77 gallons, its wierd i never had a problem before and both have been in there for over 6 months closer to 8 and seemed to get along well with eachother but the yellow is a bully to smaller slow with like firefish RIP. :cry:

StirCrazy
12-07-2004, 05:21 AM
I would be willing to bet your problem is the yellow tang. they tend to be more aggressive and he has probably decided to take over more of the tank as his own.

I have a 92 and I am very hesatent about adding a yellow tank to it as I already have a achilies tank in there.

Steve

Tarolisol
12-07-2004, 06:24 AM
Well for now no more fish are going into the tank, my 210 gallon is coming along swimingly so nothing new untill that is running and ready for fish.

hawk
12-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Most tops are not good for gas exchange and glass tops will most likly break if you have metal halide lights, the lights will heat the glass and if any water splashes on the glass bang there goes the top. also if thers a wire mesh for a top there no way you can take it off for feeding you would have to ware oven mitts.

Plastic eggcrate allows for gas exchange. If your using mh, there is usually anywhere from 6"-12" between the water and lights which is plenty of room to lift the crate for feeding. It may depend on how your canopy is designed. Mine the whole front is hinged so it is easy to lift the crate for feeding or removing when I have to work in the tank. As far as blocking light, I can't tell the difference when the crate is on or off.

bulletsworld
12-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Maybe because it is not the ocean where jumping would not hurt them :question: Let's face it, what you call a nice home is glass box prison. :eek:

I definitely agree with you Bob. :wink: Just cause we think our tanks are all pretty doesn't mean the fish does. Most of us aquascape our tanks to the display of our corals, what about the fish?

I think sometimes we forget where these creatures come from and...compared to the ocean our homes are glass boxes. I'm sure if you came from the deep beautiful sea it would feel like a glass box compared to the ocean too. :lol:

Chin_Lee
12-08-2004, 03:12 AM
In my many ferry rides from Vancouver to Victoria, I've always looked into the ocean and get sad thinking how small and insignificant my 180g tank compared the vast oceans that surround us :frown: But I think that is the part of the hobby - our attempt to replicate and put a piece of that ocean into our homes. Unfortunately we try to replicate a couple cubic square miles of ocean into several cubic feet of glass and water and many of the living animals we try to accomodate into our homes end up going to another world of after-life. Don't get me wrong because I am just as guilty as everyone else but nevertheless, still unfortunate for the animals that we "care" for and sometimes "love". :redface: As humans, we are just too determined and yet too ignorant.

bulletsworld
12-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Well said, chin_lee! :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-08-2004, 06:37 AM
Here, here.