PDA

View Full Version : subwoofers indoors

Invigor
11-08-2004, 02:24 PM
I have this 10" 'sub from my car, I bring it in for the winter, don't like pounding them when it's cold out.. does anyone have any ideas how I can power this thing without frying it or an amp? some company out there must make 120v stand alone amps for hometheatre subs that aren't too expensive, you can buy the self powered subs for ~300 for a half decent one.

Any suggestions? It seems a waste to have a sub and NOT use it!

**NOTE**
I don't intend on using this near my fish, incase anyone was worried!

Invigor
11-08-2004, 11:32 PM
found out my guitar mixer works pretty well on it...it's 400w...now i need a crossover :D

I smell eviction :eek:

Tarolisol
11-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Im sure canadian tire has some sorta gadget that converts 120v to 12v
Why not leave them in the car and listen to the pound all winter :biggrin:

Invigor
11-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Well, I thought of that but I parked my car for the winter and I'm driving a pickup now and my sub is too deep to fit anywhere in the cab. it's just a regular cab, and my legs are too long so I can't slide the seat forward and put it behind the seat or else I'll be driving with my knees up my chin

I also don't think pounding a sub with 2" excusion is good for it when it's cold..maybe I'll check alpine for "operating tempuratures".

Quinn
11-08-2004, 11:57 PM
As far as I know many subs/amps will stop working at a certain temperature, by design. Subs also have a tendency to crack if operated in extremely low temperatures. I always remove my fuse during the winter.

Tarolisol
11-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I had my two alpine subs goin all winter last year, with no problems. and it got pretty cold. I tried to make sure i didnt turn them up full blast at first.