PDA

View Full Version : overflow box

snaggle
11-07-2004, 01:43 AM
I am looking at setting up my 55 on the same sump as my 20 and 77 I dont have the tank drilled, and I dont want to bring it some where right now. I am looking at getting an over flow box like this.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/s...alogno=of-cs050
but the guy at bi als told me me I would need to buy a pump for $30 to keep it going if the power went out. Do I rilly need one? is there a better way can I do something to make it so I dont need the pump? and the bottom of the tank has a sticker that says made with tempered glass I dont know if it is the hole tank od not please help me.

REEFBOY120
11-13-2004, 07:33 AM
THe sticker at the bottom means the bottom is tempered so it can not be drilled ( please do not try unless you want the bottom to shatter in to a million peices) the guy at BIG ALS is referring to a air lift pump to remove air trapped in the sphion tube and if the power goes out it basicly restarts the sphion when the power comes back on ,they work well ,but you must check the tube once a week (or more) for salt build up so it work properly. I have use the CPR overflows and had no proplems OR floods. J&L can also sell you the pump ,it's a small Rio ,I think it cost around $15

Invigor
11-13-2004, 11:23 AM
get a lifereef overflow, they don't need a pump and they're less noisy than cprs.

http://www.canadianmarineaquariumsupply.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=311

mr_alberta
11-13-2004, 03:44 PM
A lot of people have problems with the CPR overflows in that air bubbles eventually build up in the u-tubes and affects the performance of the overflow or could completely make it lose siphon.

In the end, some people with CPR overflows use an "Aqua-Lifter" pump to pump out any air that builds up in the u-tube. They are about $20 + shipping from MOPS.ca (I also have one for sale :razz:)

Invigor
11-13-2004, 07:27 PM
i had a cpr, had no performance probelms with it, ran a rio 600rvt on it to suck out the air..only problem i found with my cpr is unless i ran it at full capacity it was extremely loud river sounding