PDA

View Full Version : What FAVOURITE tang do you own?

Chin_Lee
11-06-2004, 09:32 PM
I just wanted to put this out for others to get a general idea what other people have for tangs. I basically copied the list from JL's site so don't bash me if your tang's not there; just indicate OTHER and comment what it is.
In your replies, I would also be interested in what you feed your tangs and if they have HLLE.
Looking forward to the results and replies.

EDITED:
Well.. i just realize you can only pick one and vote once. So i've modified it to the favourite TANG that you own unless the moderators can change the configuration to allow multiple votes and selections.

Aquattro
11-06-2004, 09:40 PM
I have 2 tangs, and can only pick one. The one I put down was the white cheek. I feed him pellets, nori, and mysis. Healthy as can be. Had ick last year for a couple of days, garlic cleared it up.

Invigor
11-06-2004, 10:08 PM
have a yellow, it was develloping HLLE because I didn't know my mag9 was leaking electricity, she's grown quite a bit now that I"ve replace the pump, her face is back to solid yellow and she's getting quite fat.

food is ocean nutrition marine one marine two and marine reef flakes, the odd time i throw nori in but nobody goes nuts for it..

Chin_Lee
11-06-2004, 10:09 PM
I have three tangs - Hippo, Powder Blue and Purple. I feed them all mysis, Ocean nutrition green pellets and seaweed.
The hippo's got some major HLLE and probably due to not feeding it enough algae as it was growing up. Its one of my first tangs that i've had for about 3.5 years since it was about 1.5 inches; now its about 5.5 inches. Unfortunately i wasn't as educated then about their necessities and i'm trying to reverse the hlle with lots of seaweed.
I've had my powder blue and purple for about 3 months and they both had some ick when they were first put into my tank but generous amounts of seaweed got them really healthy and it just disappeared.

Cap'n
11-07-2004, 12:32 AM
My Yellow tang (Ling) was the first marine fish I ever bought. Really didn't know too much about the species though I did do my research to ensure it would work with my setup and planned tankmates. She has personality galore and rules her world! I feed her a variety of frozen foods with emphasis on mysis and spirulina, small amounts of flake and pellet from an auto feeder and a half sheet of nori almost every day (she goes crazy over the seaweed!) One of the fattest, brightest Yellows I have seen. I have had her for over 2 years now.

Bob I
11-07-2004, 12:41 AM
I voted other because I have no Tangs. Except for the Regal I don't like Tangs, and I only like the Regal because of the colour. :biggrin:

Jason McK
11-07-2004, 01:03 AM
I have one Tang, The White Face or powder Brown. not the same one as Brad but the Acanthurus japonicus (HEHE) I'm not going to start the confusion again.
I feed it Flake, Brine, Mysis, and it loves 3 fishes purple sea weed.
It always gets flake or brine mixed with something more nutritious
http://www.3reef.com/uploads/Tang.JPG

J

AJ_77
11-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Woo-hoo! PICTURES!! :mrgreen: Well, one pic so far - and a darned fine one, thanks Jason!

Here's my first favourite, my Blonde Nay-Zoh: :biggrin:

http://members.shaw.ca/AJ_77/nov04_naso1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/AJ_77/nov04_naso2.jpg

And here's my second favourite, a beautiful Purple - still shy:

http://members.shaw.ca/AJ_77/nov04_purple1.jpg

EmilyB
11-07-2004, 02:04 AM
woo hoo ! Nice shots Alan. How'd you get the Naso?

Samw
11-07-2004, 02:14 AM
The Hippo/Regal Tang would be my favorite. But a healthy one grows too fast for me. In 1 year, it grows from the size of a dime to at least 4" across. Not an issue if I had a big tank.

AJ_77
11-07-2004, 02:37 AM
woo hoo ! Nice shots Alan. How'd you get the Naso?
My Naso loves me. :mrgreen: Or, at least, has grown accustomed to my big face... He used to be as shy as the Purple. Now he is a torpedo - should see him at Mysis time... :eek: Loads of character in that one. :biggrin:

Cap'n
11-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Wow! Beautiful fish Jason! How long have you had it and how large is it now?

Jason McK
11-07-2004, 07:38 AM
In my ignorance I bought it 2 1/2 years ago, about 3 weeks after the tank had finished it's cycle. Him and I have gone through a lot, like 2 tank leeks and of course me learning all I could about him. I got him from animal house (Pre Hidden Reef) and he was the about 2 inches. he is close to 4 inches now. and is in need of a bigger home. I hope I will soon be able to give him that home after I move.

Jason

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Mine is an elongate or A. mata. I bought it as a blue-line tang (10") but it turned out its an Elongate tang (20"). It's about the fastest growing fish I've ever seen. Smaller than my damsels 3 months ago (1"). Now, it's over 5" and still growing. I feed my fish nori, mysis, enriched brine, frozen angelfish food, blood worms, OSI Marine flakes & Spirulina flakes, and freeze-dried plankton. They eat better than I do :lol: :lol: Need a much bigger tank soon. 200+g anyone???

smokinreefer
11-07-2004, 05:09 PM
i've had a few tangs in my time... and i LOVE them ALL!!

i voted for PowderBlue though... :mrgreen:

she is awesome... here's her story...

had wanted one forever... finally felt my tank was ready for one...(had a purple tang at the time already)

she was in a tank with about 20 yellow tangs :eek: was looking a touch too thin for my liking, but she was alert and had a good appetite at the LFS so i took her home...

intoduced her to the tank, she didnt flinch for a second, no dashing no darting no hiding... the purple didnt chase her at all. she had claimed her spot as QUEEN!! :lol:

she put on weight in no time and has been lookin beautiful ever since.

she did break her back once while getting caught in a fishtrap, which scared the crap outta me, as i saw her awkardly swim away with a really bad bent spine. but it corrected itself in a few hours! to my relief!

Murminator
11-08-2004, 01:15 AM
I didn't see it on the list but it is just killing me to say it

Poon Tang.........................LOL

:BIG:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Phewww.

Willito
11-08-2004, 03:57 PM
I vote for the Sohal tang because with al of l my experiences with tangs, the Sohal is one of the most robust fish I've ever own. I got it 4 months ago and for the first month he was full of ick. I not did quaratine nor treat him for ick, he battle ick himself. As for temperment, mine is nice guy in comparsion to most others. I have five other fish in the tank and he doesn't bother any one of them.

Invigor
11-08-2004, 07:48 PM
I didn't see it on the list but it is just killing me to say it

Poon Tang.........................LOL

:rofl:

what adds to it is peter griffen as your avatar.

"of course a man made that commercial Lois, it's not a delicious Thanksgiving dinner"

AJ_77
03-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm dreamin' about that "small Sohal" they have listed at J&L now... :neutral:

But these are still my 2 faves and they'll do just fine. :mrgreen:

http://members.shaw.ca/AJ_77/mar05_tangs.jpg

BCOrchidGuy
03-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Although I don't have any right now I had a beautiful Desjardins Sailfin and I'd love to get another but I think my tank is too small.

Doug

Beverly
03-27-2005, 09:29 PM
We have no tangs. Tanks are too small for them.

Willow
03-27-2005, 11:39 PM
go kole!

i can attest to the coolness of jason's tang, im very jealous!

you can't beat the worker attitutde of a bristlemouth tang, they work all day and you hardly ever have to feed them.

Marcus K
03-28-2005, 03:05 AM
The Yellow Tang is one of the fish that got me into the Saltwater hobby. We also have a Kole Tang which I love to watch swim. My wife loves the kiss marks that she leaves all over the glass.

UnderWorldAquatics
03-28-2005, 03:16 AM
vlamingii naso, look to my avatar for a pic of him, "Fat Bastard"

Nemo
03-28-2005, 05:06 AM
I have a regal, yellow and a sailfin. I love them all, if I could figure how to get a few more in I would be getting a purple, & powder blue

Snappy
03-28-2005, 05:11 AM
I have a yellow sailfin and a regal or blue tang both from the Hawaii area.
The yellow has the most personality however I have had it longer. They are both a couple of pigs that eat whatever kind of food I throw into the tank. The tank wouldn't be the same without them. They also get along very well.