PDA

View Full Version : NEED your advice A.S.A.P...

bulletsworld
11-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Can "Coppersafe" product be used with puffers (Dogface or porcupine puffers(scaless fish)? :question:

I'm getting mixed answers from LFS here. Does anyone know? Has anyone treated puffers with copper?

Which copper did you use?

Thanks a bunch in advance

Dabbler
11-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Now I was told that you can't use copper with Balla sharks or loaches in the fresh water systems and they are considered scaleless. So I would say No. for them I was to use ecolibrium for fresh water but I think they also make a salty one too

Tarolisol
11-07-2004, 02:45 AM
Is a box fish scaleless?

bulletsworld
11-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Yup, the boxfish is definately a scaleless fish and same with the puffers. I think maybe even Lion fish, but that I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if sharks also fall into this same catogory. But has anyone treated boxfish, lion fish with coppersafe product?

Is coppersafe more harsh then Cupramine? Anyone tried on any scaleless fish?

mr_alberta
11-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I know Copper + Lionfish = bad news, so if a Lionfish is a scale less fish and puffers are a scale less fish, then I don't think I'd be comfortable enough to try it.

Gools
11-07-2004, 04:26 PM
aren't tangs scale less? I know the powder blue is, and it is one fish prone to ich, which is treatable with copper. Just thought I'd through that out there.

Bob I
11-07-2004, 05:06 PM
aren't tangs scale less? I know the powder blue is, and it is one fish prone to ich, which is treatable with copper. Just thought I'd through that out there.

What is a through :question:

bulletsworld
11-07-2004, 07:22 PM
I know tangs dont like copper and may even stop eating while in copper the first few days but I dont tink they are scalessfish.

Anyone know for sure?

Bob I
11-07-2004, 08:36 PM
I know tangs dont like copper and may even stop eating while in copper the first few days but I dont tink they are scalessfish.

Anyone know for sure?

Not scaleless, but very thin skinned. :eek:

bulletsworld
11-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah thats what I thought.

Damn its so confusing different copper & different test kits hey. Damn not very accuate either, damn.

Anyone treated with cupramine before? How the heck did you figure this test kit out. Damn these color charts.

Although people never wanta talk about their problems they have come across ending in losses. Any help would help.

Please pm me if shy. Thanks a bunch

Tarolisol
11-08-2004, 02:34 AM
I've treated my box fish and tangs with it, they both pulled through.

bulletsworld
11-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Tarolisol, thanks for your reply,

Did you half to use a smaller dose of copper for the boxfish?

Seamonkey
11-09-2004, 12:53 AM
I posted a reply earlier today about this exact subject. In my 5 years of having marine fish I have treated my 90 gal at least 4 times with coppersafe and it never caused a problem with my 2 puffers and always cleared up the ich. I have a dogface and a sharpnose.

Tarolisol
11-09-2004, 02:46 AM
I did exactly what it said on the box. I couldnt find a test kit to save my life when i treated though. I took out the carbon running on the tank and let it be. The box fish could incredible bad the first few days in QT then got better. Didnt really eat much in the QT. But lived. same with a blue tang but he ate in the QT, and lived untill today when it jumped from the tank. :rolleyes:

bulletsworld
11-09-2004, 04:47 AM
Yeah its good to get others experiences for sure.

Thanks for your replies. I'm thinking I will stop my treatment with Cupramine. Do a huge water change and run carbon and treat with Coppersafe.

Feeling uneasy about using Cupramine after everyones had better luck with Coppersafe and that it holds in the water up to a month. Not like Cupramine were it falls outta the soulution like it already has makin it hard to keep the actually dose required to kill the parasites.

Thanks guys for convincing me CopperSafe is the safer choice.

*BIG HUGS*

bulletsworld
11-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Any one know if you can run a Skimmer while treating with Copper? :question: Sorry may be silly question but hey you never know. My skimmer just seems to be keeping my ammonia in check. :mrgreen:

Bob I
11-09-2004, 04:43 PM
I would say yes. To the best of my knowledge a skimmer only removes large protenaceous molecules from the water. It may also remove things bound to those molecules, but I don't think so. :mrgreen:

monza
11-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Maybe I missed it in your post, is your tank fish only? I don't think I'd hook a skimmer up to a copper treatment tank that would be used on a reef system.
Dave
Hope your fish gets better!

bulletsworld
11-10-2004, 12:12 AM
OMG, your so right! Me DOH! I never thought about that! Its a Qt tank only but I took the skimmer off my reef tank.

Just never thought about that it will wreck it for ever trying to put it back on the reef! :eek: :eek: Sense tells me...DOH! *hand to the head*

Shit now I have a QT skimmer only! Damn! :frown:

Thanks Monza for that very good point! :mrgreen:

monza
11-10-2004, 12:21 AM
Maybe you can take it off and not to much copper would have leached into the skimmer so quickly, but I don't know. If you had a problem down the road that would always be in the back of your mind.

Wow a skimmer on your QT tank...must be nice!

Dave

monza
11-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Oh Bob you master of spelling...proteinaceous. Now I just opened myself up for my bad spellinn and real bad punctuations.

Dave