05-31-2016, 03:42 AM
Hey everyone!

Here is my 2 gallon cookie jar :biggrin:

_1tyVJ25_yo

Youtube BB code not working? :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1tyVJ25_yo

WarDog
05-31-2016, 06:32 AM
Hey ReefJar, that's pretty cool! How's about some details of equipment and such?

Unfortunately you can't embed youtube videos here.

ReefJar
05-31-2016, 07:10 AM
Thanks!

Well, it's a 2 Gallon Cookie Jar from Canadian Tire powered by air, 50w heater, and 12w Par38 bulb.

I've got various SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys, Candy Canes and lot's of critters.

I do weekly 100% water changes after a heavy feeding.

That's about it, pretty simple eh!

I just recently removed an octospawn because it wasn't getting along. It was doing fine for a long time, but then it started to sting everything as Euphyllia usually do.

cblair
06-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Very cool! Great job

shiftline
06-01-2016, 03:13 PM
Awesome. Looks great

ReEf BoSs
06-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Great job !

corpusse
06-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Cool tank, I just took down my 2 gallon pico that had been running for more than 6 years. If you want to keep this tank running long term I suggest you take out the sandbed. I know there are some small tanks with sandbeds but getting rid of mine really made the tank thrive. Since there are no micro powerheads and the ones you can fit in suck the tank (jar) ends up being a detritus factory.

ReefJar
06-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Cool tank, I just took down my 2 gallon pico that had been running for more than 6 years. If you want to keep this tank running long term I suggest you take out the sandbed. I know there are some small tanks with sandbeds but getting rid of mine really made the tank thrive. Since there are no micro powerheads and the ones you can fit in suck the tank (jar) ends up being a detritus factory.

Hey thanks!

I'm not sure if you've followed Brandon429 at all (pico was 9+ years before he restarted it because the coral mass was out of control)... He recommends doing a sandbed "cleaning" every now and again. Basically putting the pico in the sink and flushing (forcibly) about 20 gallons of new salt water through it to flush detritus out.

Yep it will make a mess and some corals might not be too happy for a day, but it's similar to a hurricane in the shallows and should do the trick :D

I just made a big post with some pictures of my first 6 months: http://www.reefjar.com/6-months-review/

tang daddy
06-15-2016, 04:05 PM
I like it man, keep up the dedicated husbandry skills.

If you didn't do 100% wc weekly you could possibly keep some nano fish in there that would be pretty awesome!