PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Aquarium Society

Quagmire
11-06-2004, 04:30 PM
A while back when everyone was talking about formalizing a SW club,I mentioned it to Jim Hendrick one of the directors of C.A.S He said it was a great idea and wished us luck.I was speaking with him again yesterday and he asked how the club was comming along.When I told him not much was happening in that area,he said that he talked to the other directors and they would be happy to incude a SW extention to the club.Some of the members have SW and FW tanks.And they would like some new blood in their ranks.
If anyone is interested and wants to find out more,they can PM me for Jims phone number or go see him at the C.A.S auction on Nov 14 at the Parkdale Comm Assoc. Viewing is at 10am and Auction is at 11am.There won't be any SW equip, but there will be tanks,pwr heads etc.

AJ_77
11-06-2004, 06:10 PM
But what would that do to our image as "good-looking rebels that play by our own rules?" :confused:

Ha-ha... :rolleyes: Not a bad idea, perhaps - one we hadn't considered?

BMW Rider
11-06-2004, 10:59 PM
But what would that do to our image as "good-looking rebels that play by our own rules?" :confused:

Ha-ha... :rolleyes: Not a bad idea, perhaps - one we hadn't considered?

You mean we're not good looking rebels? :cool:

OH, you were you refering to the idea of joining the other group :rolleyes: That might not be a bad plan. If we can take advantage of an all ready established group and expand it to encompass our side of the hobby, it would easier than trying to get our own group set up. There is some overlap between fresh and salt water systems, so there should be some common ground to work from.

medican
11-06-2004, 11:34 PM
good idea........ :rolleyes:

I think Ill have to drop by on the 14

Richard

Quinn
11-06-2004, 11:37 PM
How closely associated with the freshwater group would we be. Can we set our own meeting times, frequency, membership costs, etc.? Is the main goal here just to create an income so that we can look at bringing in speakers? I think we should get back on that zoo aquarium project as well.

EmilyB
11-07-2004, 02:14 AM
I bet they have better t-shirts.... :lol:

Quinn
11-07-2004, 02:42 AM
But I doubt they have doggy T-shirts.

Bob I
11-07-2004, 03:41 AM
How closely associated with the freshwater group would we be. Can we set our own meeting times, frequency, membership costs, etc.? Is the main goal here just to create an income so that we can look at bringing in speakers? I think we should get back on that zoo aquarium project as well.

As a very old member of the CAS I would see our involvement as a branch of the mother association. Everyone would pay the same dues. We would all pull together in the prolifereration of the aquarium hobby. It could become very complicated, or remain simple. We could act as a separate branch or part of the whole. IOW a part of a CAS meeting could be set aside for the salt water bunch. There could be funds available for speakers etc. We could be part of the shows. The possibilities are endless, and I am making less sense as this post goes on. :biggrin:

AJ_77
11-07-2004, 05:23 AM
No, that made sense for the most part Bob... :mrgreen:

As part of the wider organization, we could work to educate and raise awareness regarding the saltwater/reefing hobby. That may in turn attract more people to the hobby that would have a greater chance of success in it, having started with a sense of the responbility and commitment involved.

This month's RC TOTM is another story of a FW geek who eventually got hooked on reefing...

Quagmire
11-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Well Im going to check out the auction next weekend.Never know what you may find :lol: And I'll let Jim know there is some interest.I anyone wants to call him for more information I;ll give you his phone number.
I was thinking that there were enough of us interested in a club,but no time to organize.And this way the organization is already there for us to take advantage of.If after a while we believe we can serve our interest better by forming our own club,it will be easier to set thing up for ourselves.

Cap'n
11-07-2004, 07:26 PM
I think it's a great idea to affilliate ourselves with an already established group. I'm also going to the auction and will be joining the CAS at that time (been meaning to for a while)

danny zubot
11-08-2004, 04:02 AM
I think we should get back on that zoo aquarium project as well.
I would love to be a part of something like that. A while ago there was some mention of the city funding such a project. I wonder how that is coming along, or was it just the usual empty promise by a politian?

monza
11-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Being negative I guess... but whats the point? This site alone has made us a fairly tight group that always seems to be growing. I'm willing to bet that we have more communication between ourselfs then the other group. What does the other fish society do for you... pay some money to be all official like for what. Maybe I’m missing something but if we need or ask anything from this group it seems to happen. I guess I just can’t see myself going to a formal meeting with a bunch of gold fish keepers and paying for it.

As far as speakers and shows, please tell me last speaker the fresh water group had... I'm sure it was riviting? Way to small of a community to get a "intersting," fish guy the costs would prohibitive. How can two groups of fish geeks getting together make the hobby better?

The zoo thing is a cool idea for sure, that could be interesting and something to work on.

Dave

Cap'n
11-09-2004, 10:32 PM
I guess I just can’t see myself going to a formal meeting with a bunch of gold fish keepers and paying for it.

I'm sure there are a lot of cichlid enthusiasts who would feel the same about meeting with a bunch of "nemo recuers". It is not wise to assume the members of another group are less committed or intelligent than yourself.

In my opinion, it is an aquarium society, and we all have aquariums. Just imagine if the upcoming CAS auction also included a frag swap?

monza
11-09-2004, 11:54 PM
No knock on anyones intelligence or commitment to their hobby, sorry if it read that way.:rolleyes: Just saying I don't see the point and you gave me one, a frag swap. However, we already do that.

Go Nemo Go.:biggrin:

Dave

TANGOMAN
11-10-2004, 12:34 AM
I gotta' admit, I'm with Dave on this one. Sorta'...? :confused: .
Personally, I would like to see the marine community as a completely separate entity. Nothing against the freshwater society already in existance. I do the freshwater side as well. I've been to auctions in the past. It took two hours alone just to get through bags of Convict Cichlids. You'd think they are easily bred or somethin'... :lol: .
I don't know if formalizing a society in Calgary would generate enough revenue to bring in worthy speakers. It would be great if it did but are we really big enough? I kinda' think we're stuck in the middle right now. The group is growing constantly. This growth has led to a reluctancy to host meetings any more. My place surely isn't large enough and with tanks in almost every room, on different levels, the riff-raff would be all over the place and the wife would surely begin wonder what she'd agree to... :lol:
I'd love to be a part of the "Calgary Marine Aquarium Society"...even if it involved a membership fee. Didn't someone once say, "I have a dream..."? :lol: . We could at least then rent a board room at maybe the Cecil or somethin' ? I'm sure Quinn knows a few places that'll rent by the hour... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I'm for "solidarity" amongst ourselves. :cool:

Delphinus
11-10-2004, 12:45 AM
I guess my hypothetical question is, why hasn't the CAS opened itself to the SW community before? It's not like SW is a recent phenomenon.

Personally I see an affiliation is a good thing, but I think our mandates are separate enough to warrant a distinct grouping.

If I could use the horticultural/plant geek world as an example .. in Calgary there is the Calgary Horticultural Society and the Foothills Orchid Society. The orchid growers belong to F.O.S. and maybe as well as the C.H.S., but not necessarily both; yet the two groups do recognize each other and I think technically the F.O.S. is considered underneath the C.H.S. "umbrella" but then the F.O.S. is also an affiliate member society of the American Orchid Society whereas the C.H.S. is not. If I'm not making any sense let me try to synopsize as that the "dotted line affiliations" are different.

I see a SW and SW/reef group as a good thing and has long been a dream of mine (and others on this board) to one day start the process going. In this I envision something similar to the paternal relationship of the hort societies in that this new group would see the umbrella of the C.A.S. yet also have that dotted line affilation to MASNA.

However with that said, Monza has a point. Right now we have the benefits of an informal society but without the requisite overhead of membership dues, a collection of bylaws, an elected directorship, and so on. We have meetings (somewhat irregularly but we could change that) we have frag swaps, collective arrangements of help when needed, information sharing, and technically I see no reason why we couldn't have guest speakers if that's what we really wanted (except that bringing in someone from outside the area costs money).

Anyhow back to my original musing, I think if CAS truly had an interest in SW they would have opened their doors to the idea long ago; but they haven't. But perhaps it goes back to the fact that the hobbies are distinct enough to warrant two distinct societies (I can't beleive it but I sound like a Quebec separatist here ... :lol: )

Just my thoughts ... I do one day see a formal association and affiliation but am not sure if the time is right to push it ahead just yet.

Tarolisol
11-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Just a question but what would being a society accomplish. Would there be any greater benefit by paying dues. I really dont see how payin dues would help our group. I for one am a student and can barly afford the hobby let alone paying a monthly fee to be part of a group i would love to be apart of.

Buccaneer
11-10-2004, 01:25 AM
My suggestion to this is to start with is a website where we can all register at and post/link to all things of the Calgary Marine Aquarium Society

We can link to this site for the discussion board but have member tanks displayed/ frag swap info etc. ... I guess somewhat " distinct " :mrgreen: < sorry Tony ... it was there and I had a shot at it LOL )

Some marine/reef folks dont visit message boards at all but would probably support a local website that could put them in touch with other marine/Reef keepers

Some of us have the skills/aptitude/webspace to make that a reality.

Opinions ?

Cap'n
11-10-2004, 03:28 AM
To be honest, I don't see the point of speakers at all. I think being able to meet everyone and have some sort of sale / trade would be sufficient. Shouldn't really be a need for fees.

Definately agree that the two groups are distinct with different needs. However, I don't think either needs an auction, simple sale would be more pleasant.

About the only two advantages I see in being a formal community are the opportunity to meet and group recognition by vendors (be a lot easier than saying "I'm with the BlkWolfe truck").

Delphinus
11-10-2004, 04:31 AM
Agreed..

Seems we have grown to the point where a meet and greet in our house or apartment seems a little intimidating. Unfortunately though, the alternative is to find a hall or something which costs money and you don't get to see someone's tank. Makes me think that unless we got a vendor on board to host meetings the best alternative is still the "sort of monthly social" at someone's place.

It's too bad we couldn't entice Jack and Wendell to move a satellite prop-op to a warehouse here in Calgary ... :lol: If a win the lottery I promise I'll set one up (maybe I should buy a ticket sometime :rolleyes: )

Quinn
11-10-2004, 05:03 AM
I agree with Dave, Doug, et al. This was one of my concerns. I don't think we should join if it means our funds go to freshwater-related events (speakers, auctions). I have nothing against freshwater but frankly I am not interested in it in the slightest and I don't want my membership fee going to anything except marine-related causes.

I think a loosely organized group might be worthwhile solely because it would give us a bit of a pot (which we can't really have without organization because sooner or later someone will walk away with the membership fees or something and we'll be in trouble then) from which to draw if we ever had a chance to get a speaker (if we decide it's even worth the significant costs I expect would be associated with it), or perhaps we could put it towards web hosting. I would be willing to spearhead/assist in the development of an CMAS website, although "society" might not be the best term. (This would of course mean going back and deciding if we have a logo yet*. :lol: ) A site could be maintained for under $100/year with more than ample webspace for photos, videos, etc. Money could also be donated to the zoo project if it ever got going. Maybe we could get a nice plaque with our logo on it put next to the tank.

I don't think any formal group we organize should worry too much about holding scheduled meetings. Casual get-togethers seem adequate for our purposes.

* I'll be the first to say I'd love to see the logo I did in use. However I also recognize it may have an unfair advantage as I was able to create it in vector format which is pretty much essential in our case. I would be willing to convert other popular submissions to vector format as well for comparison.

Buccaneer
11-10-2004, 05:14 AM
So for the cost of a cup of coffee we could likely have a website :cool:

That is a start I think ... we could have LFS for a minimum fee put ads on the website or trade for advertising in their stores to promote awareness for the Calgary club and maybe draw in some of those enthusiasts that dont already know about us.

There are alot of Marine aquarium enthusiasts in this city that probably dont have a clue as to the wealth of resources available to them here at Canreef or our local members.

Tarolisol
11-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Buk and teevee have great ideas, and however else put there thoughts into those ideas. Sounds like the beggining of a plan.

EmilyB
11-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Well Jack brought all those frags out, and wasn't really greeted with much enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

danny zubot
11-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Many of us that now consider our hobby as the ultimate challenge started by raising various fresh water species. I am still very fond of African cichlids and plecos. The line that separates us is not as thick as we like to think though. Consider the challenges of establishing a successful planted ecosystem versus the challenges of a reef ecosystem. They both require a vast amount of knowlege and work to make it happen. With that respect given, I am not really interested in meeting with such a vast group of aquarists. I'd rather have something developed just for reef keepers.

As far as the zoo project is concerned, there are many displays of freshwater fish integrated into Destination Africa. People can learn about the real importance of cichlids and barbs while visiting the hippo exhibit.
Why not teach people about the real importance of preserving our reefs? IMO they are more beautiful anyway. :biggrin:

Danny

Invigor
11-10-2004, 02:49 PM
there's definately a line between sw clubs and aquarium societies. it seems fw enthusiasts don't care about sw, and there's the sw enthusiasts that don't give a darn about freshwater.

I used to work in a LFS and some of the veteran sw guys have never had a fw setup, they don't even know how to set one up, nor do they care! then there's the odd few people that do both :D that's the real fish enthusiast!

Buccaneer
11-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Well Jack brought all those frags out, and wasn't really greeted with much enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

:confused:

I dont think that we were as well prepared for Jack's visit as I would have liked ... in hindsight we should have had a tank all lit up for him to display those frags ... I bought a few myself but thought a better presentation would have sold them all ... the other thing is that if he presold the majority on this website or our own website would have been more effective.

danny zubot
11-10-2004, 03:50 PM
So when is the next "frag swap/beer tasting" going to be. I've actually never been to one before, so I'm interested. :mrgreen:

Delphinus
11-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Wait, before we embark on creating a website .... maybe slow down a bit.

Ok, as a moderator here on Canreef, I can't be impartial to this, but here are my thoughts.

I appreciate the buy-in that everyone has, but we've talked about formalizing on several occasions in the past, and it hasn't happened yet. I really do think we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

I want everyone to ask themselves, what does a website give you that we don't already have on Canreef. You have to ask yourself what it is that you'll get out of a formalized club, what specific needs are not being met right now, that would be by a club.

Creating the tangibles before we have taken the step of creating and registering the club, with bylaws, and directors, and etc., will encourage fractionization down the road.

It's great to see this movement afoot, but I think people forget just how much work it is to keep a society running. I'm sorry but I don't know if we've really yet hit critical mass for this to become a sustainable reality.

My suggestion is that we do have another meeting where we can table this agenda, and put forth an action plan, with specific tasks delegated to specific individuals.

I'm sorry if I sound like a downer, but if we do this then we should do it right. If it's time for another meeting, then let's have another meeting.

Invigor
11-10-2004, 08:18 PM
here in regina we just had this discussion about 2 weeks ago, and concluded it wasn't a good idea to formailze for the same reasons dephinus has layed out.

Another aquarium society requires a LOT of hard work and dedication, and finding that in it's purest is far and few between. and we all know money as the root of evil and things usually goto hell once money is introduced within a friendship.

I'm just trying to throw ideas out, ignore them if you like since i'm not from calgary. :neutral:

Quinn
11-11-2004, 12:03 AM
I just think a website would be good so more than just Des, Jon, Alan and Tony have a nice looking gallery of their tanks. :wink: But you're right, overall it's a lot of work for not a whole lot.

Buccaneer
11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
My idea for the website is to try to attract more local Marine/Reef members that otherwise would not visit a message board such as this one ... by getting the LFS to promote the website we get more exposure and more members ... when the number of members is high enough to support a formalized membership we can take the next step.

We have to start somewhere :wink: and we have alot of Marine/Reef keepers in this city that have no idea who we are and what type of assistance we can provide ... I suspect that alot have started tanks and subsequently quit because of a lack of resources or not knowing where to look.

We can link to Canreef from that site as well.

The LFS can get a banner on the site in exchange for promotion of the site in their stores. A win-win is what I am looking for.

Delphinus
11-11-2004, 04:34 AM
It's a nice idea Steve and I'm not really against the idea. But for a couple of reasons I have a few concerns.

First and foremost, although it may be inexpensive to register a domain, it's not free. Anytime that money is involved, i.e. collected for or paid on behalf of an entity, there has to be accountability -- without accountability, creditability is questionable. This means at minimum there has to be an executive body or committee.

Secondly as an online resource it really would be in the same category as this discussion board. If people aren't going to make it to one, then I think it's unlikely they'll make it to the other. I.e., either you're technologically savvy in which case you can probably find your way here, or you're not technologically savvy in which case neither resource will really fit the bill.

Thirdly, most online associations have generally been unkind in the words regarding the retailers, and this fact has not gone unnoticed amongst them. We probably have still an uphill battle to win them over at this point. And to be honest, I think a club or association should not be too tightly indebted to a retailer because sooner or later a conflict of interest is sure to rise.

I think the better first step is that we define who we are, we draft up a set of minimal bylaws which set out what positions define the executive council (I would suggest at a minimum a president, a vice-president, and a treasurer), how often and when the annual general meetings are held (where the executives are elected), also including the plan for dissolution of the club, then register as a non-profit society within Alberta, then register as a member society of MASNA, then approach CAS to be a sibling or partner society so that we can share the duties in some annual events; then start creating assets such as a website, a bank account, and other resources (books? tools?) and a management plan for those assets, and plans for future projects (e.g. zoo).

Does it sound like a major undertaking yet? Because it should! :razz: Don't get me wrong the whole reason we started this Calgary forum is because we do want to have a club (at least some of us do). But we have to really want to take this next step. Otherwise it is a recipe for burnout, and I'm sure we've all been there. And if we take it too early we risk stumbing.

Anyhow these are just my thoughts. If the time is right to start the ball rolling again then great, let's get the ball rolling. But I think we ought to have a business meeting and go from there first.

EmilyB
11-11-2004, 05:38 AM
I tried to talk to them thru their website long before I was on Canreef and never even got a reply....mind you they probably didn't know what SW was then. :rolleyes:

Hey, I love cichlids, that's probably what led me into the hobby. But every time I think of the CAS I remember the fish show at Pisces...and me freaking over the kids climbing all over the display fish. Then I have a nightmare about Moo... :eek:

Sorry, I don't think I'm going there. :neutral:

Canadian Man
11-11-2004, 06:00 AM
A meeting you say Tony?
At my house perhaps? :biggrin:

Quinn
11-11-2004, 06:44 AM
This is an odd statement because I still think it would be nice to formalize our group, but Tony totally sold me. I guess we're not missing much right now anyways.

Buccaneer
11-11-2004, 11:55 AM
First and foremost, although it may be inexpensive to register a domain, it's not free. Anytime that money is involved, i.e. collected for or paid on behalf of an entity, there has to be accountability -- without accountability, creditability is questionable. This means at minimum there has to be an executive body or committee.

How else do you suggest we get the exposure to attract those Marine/Reef keepers so that we have enough members to formalize ? ... it would seem that we are in a neutral position in that there are not enough here to get started and not growing fast enough to do it in the near future ( If anyone is worried about the website domain registration it is a pittance and I would gladly donate to have it registered but I am not up to website desgn or else kindergarten kids would have a better site than us :rolleyes: :razz: )

I understand what is involved with starting a non-profit organization ( I am a founding board member for a non-profit charity ) but what I am suggesting is that we need to get our numbers up first ... those up front costs need to be spread over a membership and not burdened on a few ... any suggestions as to how to attract other Marine/Reef members I am open to hear as well.

To borrow a line from a popular ad " membership has it's privilidges " ... when we have our numbers up we can entice more members because we will have more to offer ... some of the clubs in the states get group buys from retailers ( online or local ) etc ( I actually snuck in on the New Jersey Reef Clubs group buy of Refractometers as well as a RC group buy of Algae free rare earth magnets )

Secondly as an online resource it really would be in the same category as this discussion board. If people aren't going to make it to one, then I think it's unlikely they'll make it to the other. I.e., either you're technologically savvy in which case you can probably find your way here, or you're not technologically savvy in which case neither resource will really fit the bill.

So you are saying that if they wont visit a message board such as this one that most people wont visit a website dedicated to local reefers either ? ... I dont necessarily agree because most people I think are naturally shy and so there may be more lurkers but lets assume for a minute you are correct on this point

Thirdly, most online associations have generally been unkind in the words regarding the retailers, and this fact has not gone unnoticed amongst them. We probably have still an uphill battle to win them over at this point. And to be honest, I think a club or association should not be too tightly indebted to a retailer because sooner or later a conflict of interest is sure to rise.

A good point to be sure ... that is why I am suggesting a seperate website for the local hobbyist ( not a discussion board as this one ) ... we have had our discussions regarding retailers before but ultimately we do need each other and can collaborate to a common good ... we only really need one on board as I think most of us have visited them all at some point in time ... I would rather see that happen voluntarily by some of those retailers that frequent this board and we already support.

Marine/Reef enthusiasts ... although we share the common denominators of a glass box/heater with our freshwater bretheren ... I think the similarity stops there ... we have completely different challenges and I believe the end results of our efforts although more difficult are far more esthetically pleasing and rewarding.

I just think we need to figure a way to channel Marine/Reef keepers into one location and hold at least quarterly get-togethers.

I have a unfinished basement in this new place that ( if I can sort some of the boxes :rolleyes: ) hold quite a few people and would be willing to volunteer to hold meetings here ... Jonathon also has volunteered his home so a couple more and we can at least have a way to get face to face with the rest of the group on a regular basis

I think a mistake we have made in the past is that we have not set aside a regular meeting ... if everyone knew that every third month the second Saturday night ( only a example ) was a meeting then everyone could plan around that and turnouts would be better. ( when was our last meet anyway ? :lol: )

more wood to the fire of discussion ... I am not saying I am right ... these are just my opinions and I am open to any and all suggestions.

Anyhow these are just my thoughts. If the time is right to start the ball rolling again then great, let's get the ball rolling. But I think we ought to have a business meeting and go from there first.

I totally agree that this needs more discussion ... where and when ?

Tony ... why dont you start a thread to get a meet together for at least those that want to be involved from a planning/execution level ?

Delphinus
11-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Just a couple quick points because I have to run ... more detailed discussion maybe later ..

How else do you suggest we get the exposure to attract those Marine/Reef keepers so that we have enough members to formalize ?

To borrow a phrase, "if you build it they will come." If the group entity exists it will serve as a beacon itself, to some degree.

I think a mistake we have made in the past is that we have not set aside a regular meeting ...

I think we have had regular meetings in the past. But now the group has grown enough that they have become somewhat daunting, however, and the lineup of volunteer hosts has sort of slightly dwindled.

if everyone knew that every third month the second Saturday night ( only a example ) was a meeting then everyone could plan around that and turnouts would be better.

For a while actually I think we had a rule of thumb? Wasn't it the first Wednesday of every month or something like that? But then what happens is because we're having these in people's houses, we're somewhat at the mercy of spouses and families and scheduling commitments and whatnot and instead of a Monday or Wednesday it becomes a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday or vice-versa. Maybe for now let's figure on either monthly or every couple of months and go from there. Maybe this could be an agenda item for the first business meeting? I.e., planning beyong the "next meet" and actually having targeted other meets as well (without getting too overboard just yet).

Some great points, again my thoughts are just one person's opinion as well, but I think we have a lot of common ground, and a lot of potential momentum/inertia. I'm just trying to challenge us into thinking this through properly. Maybe 2005 can be "our year".

I'd love to go on but unfortunately I think I will get fired if I do. So I'll have to put my diatribe to a rest for a moment.

cheers

Cap'n
11-13-2004, 01:20 AM
I have nothing against freshwater but frankly I am not interested in it in the slightest

What!? That surprises me Qinn, just think of all the latin names you could add to your vocabulary!

Quinn
11-13-2004, 03:12 AM
:wink:

Canadian Man
11-13-2004, 03:41 AM
I have nothing against freshwater but frankly I am not interested in it in the slightest

What!? That surprises me Qinn, just think of all the latin names you could add to your vocabulary!

:lol: THAT SUMS UP QUINN PERFECTLY! :lol:

danny zubot
11-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Steve Wrote I think a mistake we have made in the past is that we have not set aside a regular meeting ... I agree :exclaim:

Myself and some other fellow reefers that are pretty new to the board would really love to see what goes on at these meetings. I haven't been to one because I never knew about it. IMO: If there is to be a meeting it would be a great idea to advertise the function, and to welcome newcomers. (if they are to be welcome :neutral: ) I wouldn't want to go to a meeting if I felt like I was crashing someone's private function.

A simple post with a poll attached would give a good idea of who might be interested in attending or hosting the next meeting. It would also serve to prove if the interest in this type of organization has indeed grown like some have noticed. :smile:

Buccaneer
11-15-2004, 03:40 PM
If there is to be a meeting it would be a great idea to advertise the function, and to welcome newcomers. (if they are to be welcome :neutral: ) I wouldn't want to go to a meeting if I felt like I was crashing someone's private function.

Actually it has been awhile since the last one ... there was a informal " move Tony get-together " when he moved to his new house :lol:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9102

If you look back in the annals of the Calgary Forum you will probably see the last one was at my old house ( and everybody was invited )

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8256

Buccaneer
11-15-2004, 03:46 PM
A meeting you say Tony?

Hey Jonathon ... what day/time do we all show up ? :razz:

Bob I
11-15-2004, 03:57 PM
To be truly fair we had a Mysis pickup, and beer consumption at Ross' house a short time ago. That was a bit of a get together. :biggrin:

Buccaneer
11-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Thats right ... I forgot about that as I was working and had to pick-up my mysis later on the next week :rolleyes:

danny zubot
11-15-2004, 06:48 PM
The meetings you are refering to at Jonathan's and Steve's were before my time. The mysis pickup was the one that I was unclear about. I'll make sure I'm at the next one. :smile:

Cap'n
11-15-2004, 06:57 PM
What if we all met at a public place designed to hold more people instead of someones house? Maybe a restaraunt or pub. Anybody know of one with a reef tank display?

How many people are we talking about anyway?

Delphinus
11-15-2004, 07:22 PM
30-40 people usually show up...

Canadian Man
11-16-2004, 01:35 AM
A meeting you say Tony?

When my life slow's down a little. :razz:
Got Cadence's 1st bday begginning of Dec so that's the main focus right now.

Buccaneer
11-16-2004, 05:47 AM
A meeting you say Tony?At my house perhaps? :biggrin:

When my life slow's down a little. :razz:
Got Cadence's 1st bday begginning of Dec so that's the main focus right now.

So what was that ? ... a tease ? :razz:

dont worry Jonathon oh new father ... life just gets busier now that you have a short person in the house :lol:

when are you planning the second one ? :razz: :mrgreen:

Canadian Man
11-16-2004, 05:57 AM
Well it's not just a tease but once I started thinking of my schedule latley and for the upcomming weeks I am overwhelmed :eek: :lol:

Funny you should ask when the second one is comming.

Basically whenever it happens, it happens in the current thinking.