PDA

View Full Version : Evergrow led lights- any info

88keys
05-23-2016, 06:09 PM
I just saw these online. Looking to use them on a standard 15g 24x12x12.

Any recommendations, negatives on these lights?

The specs:

EverGrow D2120 16" Dimmable LED Light Fixture - For Marine Aquariums - 120 Watts
Item Code: EGD2120

The EverGrow D2120 fixture is the replacement for the popular, original D120.

Two channel dimming allows you to customize the D2120's brightness and color. It contains 55 x 3w BridgeLux LEDs running at a max power of 120 watts. It includes:
Channel 1, 7- 450nm Royal Blue, 20- 460nm Blue
Channel 2, 8- 12K Crisp/Cool White, 6- 6500K Cool White, 6-3500K Warm White, 4-420nm Purple, 2- 520nm Green, and 2- 660nm Deep Red LEDs
This combination has been selected to excite as many pigments within your coral as possible, while providing the needed energy for zooxanthellae photosynthesis. Removable 90 degree focal lenses are also utilized to ensure high PAR levels capable of growing SPS, while avoiding the "disco-ball" effect.
Improvements on this new D2120 model include a slightly nicer housing and the LEDs have been spread out a little to provide a bigger coverage area. The fixture measures 16" x 8" x 2.75" and gives great coverage to a 24" x 24" area.

Includes:

55 - 3w LED - run at 2.2w for long life
90 Degree Focal Lenses
Hanging Kit
Dual Channel Rheostat Dimming Knobs
2-Power Cords
Aluminum Fin Heat Sink
2-Cooling Fans
3 Year Warranty

e46er
05-23-2016, 07:09 PM
I have 2 of the 4' controllable ones over my 250
I had a single 4' over my 120 for a year normal growth and color was pretty good.
Good enough I bought a 2nd one

reefwithareefer
05-23-2016, 11:07 PM
If you do a search, you will find an abundance of "reviews" about these lights.

I bought 4, modified them so they could be controlled by an apex. Turned my Halides and T5s off and used the Evergrows for 2 to 3 weeks. Most everything did not do well. the zoas popped, but growth was stagnant.

Did I use them long enough to see if my sps etc would come round; not sure, but my halides etc are now my main lights and the evergrows are accent lighting.

intarsiabox
05-24-2016, 03:06 AM
I had a D2120 over a 30G tank for a little over a year. The far outer edges were a bit dim but the tank was 30" long, the fixture would cover a 24" tank nicely. This tank didn't house any SPS but it did have various LPS and soft corals in it. Some corals grew great and loved the light, others stayed alive but also stayed the same. A few zoa frags I had no matter where I put them just wouldn't open up under the LED but popped open at night. I had two tanks at the time and ended up shutting the 30g down in favor of just a single tank to look after. The other tank just has T5's on it and all the corals seem happy regardless of placement, I have a few SPS on the upper rock work but also have a plating monti on the bottom. I've had a Gen3 Radion, AI Sol and MH fixtures as well over the years but overall prefer T5's. I do miss the shimmer though and maybe down the road I'll add a Kessil to the T5 set up. The D2120 is a good quality product that gave me no issues and many others have had great success with them, lighting is only one piece of the puzzle keep in mind. I need to buy 6 new bulbs for my current fixture and it will cost me almost as much as the D2120 is complete. The D2120 is a fairly inexpensive fixture in this hobby and would be worth a try if you want to see if LED lighting is for you. I got mine on sale and ended up selling at a $50 loss which over the course of a year isn't so bad. Good luck!

Coasting
05-24-2016, 04:07 AM
Id vote a yes for the evergrow.
I didnt have a d120 but I had a nova a8 and ran both chanels at 30% and can attest that i had great growth and colour including on the few sps i had (personal choice, im sure the lights could grow it all).
Only reason i didnt go with them on my new tank is they got too popular so dont respond to single people requesting custom layouts anymore ;)

88keys
05-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Thank you for all the quick reponses. I truly appreciate it.
I have had this tank for a yr- i have two actually. I'm upgrading my 10IM light from the skyye light to a par38 full spectrum.
Its my 15g thats the real PITA for led lighting.

I did do a search but very hard to find newer opinions, most was from the first generation lights which have now been upgraded.

I love t5's. I ran my 55g with t5ho's and honestly had not a single issue with growth or colouration. The issue is the hydro costs and bulb replacement costs...or i would go back to t5's.
Metal halides are beautiful but I simply will never go this route due to heat issues and energy efficiency.

I currently run my tank with a cheap par38. I have had growth with this light.
My issue with this particular bulb is its only 60 degree lenses and 10,000k. I have dark spots and its too white to get pop from the corals. Other than that, i highly recommend par38's for nano tanks.

I do have a budget-theres the issue.

Options are limited with budget and length of my tank 24".

I wanted the ai prime but the spread is questionable 18x18- some say it will be fine others say I will have dark spots.
Theres the evergrow- some say its great other advise no chinese boxes.
Coral compulsion par38- the 35 watt has a spread of 24x24 and full spectrum dimmable. The issue is its in the US therefore add the hst and 7% duties!

I currently have zoas, leather, xenia, lps. If I add anymore to my tank I would add a stylophora to the highest point in my tank, possibly more zoas.

Coasting
05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Reefsupplies sells the evergrow lights now. No need to to do a currency exchange. All canadian money no duty.

e46er
05-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Reefsupplies sells the evergrow lights now. No need to to do a currency exchange. All canadian money no duty.

I've ordered both lights and 6 powerheads and some other misc stuff from them. Very good vendors to deal with

intarsiabox
05-24-2016, 11:00 PM
The D2120 isn't listed on Reefsupplies website any longer, it's where I bought mine but I'm not sure they carry it anymore. Petsandponds.com however does list it and they are Canadian as well and usually similar pricing.

88keys
05-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Thats why i was looking into the light because buying from the US is just ridiculous with the exchange and added fees.

I so was hoping for the AI:(

Concerned about if the Evergrow is too much light for 15g

You know, choosing a light isn't easy. Its been a PITA. Lol