PDA

View Full Version : Refugium?

brisco
05-19-2016, 10:51 PM
I have been toying with the idea of adding a refugium to my system. I would have to be either in my sump or immediately on top, there isn't too much room. I am thinking that it might help with some algae growth in the display and also keep a bigger pod population around. Other than those two goals, I really don't have a great need. Algae isn't out of control or anything. Any thoughts? I run a big skimmer, RowaPhos, and 2 gallons of hydroton in the 25 gal sump.

spedly
05-24-2016, 03:32 PM
I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago. In the end I decided not to go with it for a couple of reasons:

- The refugium space in my 36g sump wasn't large enough for adequate nutrient export in my 150g display

- Only pod larva would be small enough to survive a trip through a return pump. Seemed better for them to have their own system if I wanted to raise pods as a source of food

- Additional expense in terms of new hardware, etc.

I think refugiums are a neat concept but not super practical in the grand scheme of things. It would probably be better to set up an inexpensive 10 gallon tank and use it as a refugium.

FishyFishy!
05-25-2016, 02:56 AM
In my opinion, unless the refugium is of adequate size, It will have minimal benefits.

Running cheato is a good way of keeping phosphates under control. I run large refugiums on my systems, and I stopped running GFO about 2 years ago.

brisco
05-25-2016, 02:55 PM
I guess that the bigger the better as far as refugiums go but what would the minium size required to make a difference for my 100 gal display? I would just probably run Chaeto.

brisco
05-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Would it be that hard for pods to make it into the display through the return pump? because if that is the case then 1 of my reasons for the fuge is shot already.

rsisvixen
05-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Most pods we see in our systems are benthic pod species, meaning they tend to live on the substrate, rocks, walls etc and aren't free swimming, and the larvael forms that are free swimming will tend to stay in your refugium because of the ideal enviroment there and those that do go on the trip through the return will only see a 20%-30% survival as they are pretty fragile at that stage and the turbulance of the return pump will kill off most. Thus the pods making it into your display will be minimal at best.

Best is to breed pods in a separate area and add to your tank as needed.

brisco
05-27-2016, 02:16 PM
so manual scooping pods out of a refugium area is the only reliable way to ensure a continuous pod population in my DT? Would anybody recommend just adding a light to the skimmer chamber are of my sump with some chaeto and use that as a refugium area?

duncangweller
05-27-2016, 02:34 PM
^ thats what I did and it worked well. Only downside is that my sump became a coralline farm.

Chaeto had lots of pods as did display.

brisco
05-27-2016, 03:22 PM
^ thats what I did and it worked well. Only downside is that my sump became a coralline farm.

Chaeto had lots of pods as did display.

That is kind of what I am after. Did you have a power head in there for the Chaeto?

BCOrchidGuy
05-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Years ago I had an above the tank refugium and I had a small pump feed it and let it overflow into my main. in my opinion it worked great, YOU could build an acrylic one to the size you want for above your tank, it doesn't have to be huge but long would be good, add live rock rubble and cheato or something similar and let it overflow back into your main tank.

brisco
05-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Years ago I had an above the tank refugium and I had a small pump feed it and let it overflow into my main. in my opinion it worked great, YOU could build an acrylic one to the size you want for above your tank, it doesn't have to be huge but long would be good, add live rock rubble and cheato or something similar and let it overflow back into your main tank.

I would agree that what you describe is probably the best for pod survival, however I have my tank set up in the living room of our house as a main feature and I enjoy the very clean look of the set up that I have. So a refugium above the tank isn't an option for me and I don't have room behind for a hang on on either. It needs to be above or in the sump.

duncangweller
05-27-2016, 03:34 PM
I didn't have a power head. It was directly under the overflow pipe so whilst it was a small ball it would tumble in the flow of the overflow pipe.

When it got larger I would just try and remember to turn it over every once in a while.

proudnewbie
05-27-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm in the process of planning out a low flow 20 gallon refugium that will gravity feed to the display. I agree with BCOrchid the above the tank refugiums have far more benefit then an in sump or below tank version. No chopped up pods, no risk of overflowing or power failure or anything else. That said it obviously isn't practical for everyone, since it can be an eyesore. I'm lucky enough to have my tank against the basement stairs, so plenty of space behind the wall for gravity fed fuge, sump, and ATO.
I have seen some nicely designed fuges hiden in boxes on the wall or behind fake books and such.