PDA

View Full Version : Zoo Med Can"o"cyclops review

Skimmer Juice
05-17-2016, 03:48 AM
Seen an article on a new brand of Cyclops I found by a Company called Zoo Med
. Was able to track some down at concepts , petland have it on their website but could not find it in store. Plus concepts was quit a bit cheaper . They have it for $8 after tax per can now keep in mind you have only 7 days to use the can after opening . Here is some info from the site

Additional Information:
Fresh Cyclops are "cooked in the can" to lock in nutrients.

So have used a few other brands of cyclops but none were as good as the red stuff we use to get , the freeze dried or frozen . It seems all the newer stuff is brown in color and my pipefish wont touch it . However the zoo med cyclops is more red and first time using it my pipefish ate it and she is really picky on what pieces of food she will eat. Been using it for 3 days now my pipe has eaten it each night and my dendros seem to like it . My staghorn hermit has been eating it as well. So if you have picky eaters/smaller fish or pipes I would give it a shot , product is quality only drawback is having to use it in a week , so most likely I will be throwing half a can out but for the quality and it not being frozen I still think its worth its price .

Coasting
05-17-2016, 03:01 PM
It looks like once you open it you must keep it in the fridge for up to a week OR freeze it. I wonder if you divided it between an ice cube tray and froze it how well it would do?

brisco
05-17-2016, 04:43 PM
I see that you have a staghorn hermit. How long have you been able to keep him for? I had one (loved it) but only last about 2 months. I am not sure what I did wrong and would like to try another if I could figure out better husbandry techniques for one.

Skimmer Juice
05-17-2016, 08:00 PM
I see that you have a staghorn hermit. How long have you been able to keep him for? I had one (loved it) but only last about 2 months. I am not sure what I did wrong and would like to try another if I could figure out better husbandry techniques for one.

Have had the crab for a little while now , the crab itself is easy to care for but the trick is keeping the coral shell alive . So I have been using phytoplankton daily and the shell still looks like it did when I first got it , I believe the shell is similar the the coral that comes on xmas tree worm rocks . So if I have longterm success with the shell I will get some xmas tree worms again .