PDA

View Full Version : Wave-maker noise ????

Skimmer Juice
05-17-2016, 03:33 AM
Was wondering peoples thoughts on the noise wave-makers generate underwater . Just hooked up a jebao pp-20 in my 48x48 cube bought this as I thought my wp40 was loud . However the newer one is just as loud , I cant really hear anything until I put my ear on the glass . So Im guessing my puffers don't really care for the noise they show no signs of stress but I think the noise of the propeller would be annoying .

Is the same type of noise present with a gyre ?
Or would I be better to just get the quite drive ecotechs?
I don't need huge flow just something extra to create some waves . There is no coral in the tank well some leathers that my puffers won't eat . Like I said tank is 48x48x20 tall center overflow , don't mind having the device on the glass, have 2 returns I can aim wherever . So whats my best option keeping in mind the noise inside the tank that the fish have to listen to as #1 priority .

brisco
05-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Interesting point you are making. I had never thought about what the fish have to listen to. I have always been selfish and tried to make my tank the quietest on the OUTSIDE. I run two gyres on is a 150 and the other the smaller 130, both with the quiet mount. I can't hear them running, which is one of the reasons that I went with the Gyre, but they are set to under 60%. So after your post, I put my ear to the tank and.....it sounds like a speed boat running in there all the time. My fish need some earplugs! not that they seem to mind, but how would I know?

Galizio
05-17-2016, 04:58 PM
I had gyre in the past with quiet mount, now I run quiet drive and IMO your better money is on the ecotech.
I say ecotech cause they are quiet even at 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk