PDA

View Full Version : Fish Suggestions

Murminator
11-05-2004, 07:11 PM
I am setting up a 20gal with probably 25lbs of rock (5lbs so far) still learnin' on the corals so far I want zoos for sure maybe colt coral, shrooms and some other easy ones.

These are the fish I'm thinking of
2 Clowns (wife says so)
1 fire fish
1 6 line wrasse
1 lawnmower blenny

Is this to many fish??

What fish would you have with a 20 gal????

Quinn
11-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Seems like a lot of fish. I think I would leave the lawnmower out in any case. Then pick three of the other four.

muck
11-05-2004, 08:04 PM
I second what teevee says.
I wouldn't put more than 3 or 4 small fish in a 20 Gal.

AJ_77
11-05-2004, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't go more than 3 small fish. You'll understand why a little better as time goes on.

As for corals, you know what would look nice in there? Some lovely mushrooms! :biggrin: I also have some very cool branching lime-green Green Star Polyps that I could frag for you...

:wink:

Murminator
11-05-2004, 08:29 PM
why leave out the blenny doesn't he eat all the algae and keep the sand nice a white? I can also go with 1 clown

Quinn
11-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Because they get large. Also may become territorial. They don't do anything to keep your sand clean.

Murminator
11-05-2004, 08:38 PM
what is good at keeping sand clean?......I seen a little guy(2") at Big Al's siffting sand through his gills in one of their display tanks (300g??) and the sand was almost perfect and I thought he said it was a lawnmower blenny!.....but then again he could tell me anything

Quinn
11-05-2004, 09:13 PM
I would be inclined to say you were looking at a Amblygobius species as they are very commonly offered in the trade and are sand sifters. Although they and other sand sifters will often take prepared foods, I would be hesitant to put one in a 20 gal regardless, simply because they will devoid the sandbed of any life forms within hours or days. This will also nullify any beneficial effects of the sandbed, if you were counting on any. They also have the capacity to grow quite large. Frankly, clean/white sand isn't really necessary and in a 20 gal I wouldn't worry about having something clean it. And the footprint is just too small for a cucumber or conch. A few small sandbed-dwelling snails (Nassarius) might be worth considering.

May I recommend any combination of:
-A bicolor blenny (Ecsenius bicolor) or related species, which are active and personable fishes that would be well-suited to a small tank.
-A larger tank.
-Vigilant attention to water quality, etc. to ensure you don't have problems that one might want to use a sand sifter to "solve" (often innapropriately).

See also:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/valenciennea.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/amblygobius.htm

rodsboys
11-06-2004, 06:40 AM
I think the fish you are talking about at Big Al's is a Golden Head Sleeper Goby.If you are talking about the bowfront reef tank.