PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of larger tanks in GVRD

gobytron
05-10-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm just wondering what to do...

I have a RSM250 tank that I don't need anymore.

Tried selling it for cheap with no luck so I'm just going to get rid of it.\

It's a good sized tank....probably 36 x 18 x 24 or something and it's not in pieces or anything...still a solid glass box.

I wonder if it qualifies as a large item pick up by the city?

Can I just call them and leave it on the curb?

Or are there some glass recycling places around what will take them?

Appreciate your help/input.

Funny how I've had so many tanks but never had to throw one away before.

Animal-Chin
05-10-2016, 04:24 PM
My guess is you'd have to take the panes of glass apart and take them to a recycle depot. Not a bottle drop off but a municipality kind of place.

gobytron
05-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Ah man, Really?

Can I please ask if you're just assuming or have you had to do this yourself???

If you're speaking from experience, I can give up now...:mrgreen:

It's a red sea max, so there is a front pane and sides that are all one piece of glass, not to mention some pretty serious plastic trim.

If that IS the case, prob easier to smash it on a tarp and roll it up and toss the tarp in the bin?

Very much appreciate your input/help, thank you.

gmann
05-10-2016, 05:10 PM
no one wants it for free? WOW that's a first.

gobytron
05-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Lol.

It's not leaking but there is a crack.

I'm not willing to fix or take the risk either.

TO be honest, 3 different people committed to picking it up and subsequently flaked.

I was only selling it for 50 bucks (minus canopy) so it's now at the point where it's more worth the hassle to dispose of it than sell it.

Seems like tarp and smash is my best option?

gmann
05-10-2016, 05:33 PM
yup... TOO many flakes on here.

and yes, sledge hammer and tarp would be the most fun here lol

kyl
05-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Sorry Goby, but for Coquitlam you can't put them out for recycle. It would have to go somewhere like Wastech, city won't pick that up.

gobytron
05-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Appreciate that...

I was looking online and saw no mirrors or glass for large item pick up but thought I might try anyways...thanks for the confirmation.

If no one else knows where to take stuff like this specifically, I am going to tarp and smash on Sunday afternoon, barring anyone grabbing it before then.

gobytron
05-10-2016, 06:21 PM
yup... TOO many flakes on here.

and yes, sledge hammer and tarp would be the most fun here lol

lol.

Agreed.

Though to be fair, way more interest in the buy and sell in general in the winter months...

Summer is tough for whatever reason.

brisco
05-10-2016, 07:09 PM
The city of Vancouver used to have a huge recycling facility on Marine drive where you could bring items in. Not sure if it is still there or if they would take your tank, but it might be worth a call or a google.

gobytron
05-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Hey.

I'm trying to have others who have already done the googling and calling around do the work for me...lol

Seriously though,nobody from Canreef has ever had to dispose of a large, intact tank?

Ryanerickson
05-10-2016, 07:53 PM
In surrey we can get a few items a year picked up I have had a tank picked up no problem years ago.few months ago I broke down a tank smashed the panels in a tarp then dumped in recycle bin they took it no issues.

gobytron
05-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Thanks man.

That's good info.

We get 4 items a year for pick up in Coquitlam (since they stopped spring clean up) so that would be ideal.

I'll call them and see what they say.

The always ask what the item is and I haven't used any of the 4 items I get yet and the meter resets in June.

msjboy
05-10-2016, 08:34 PM
why not put on craigslist.... would be a great tank for plants maybe or small critters like gerbils, snakes.

Animal-Chin
05-10-2016, 08:40 PM
I got rid of a 50 gallon long by just taking it to the dump and tossing it. I took the stand and the lid with it and just chucked it out, they didn't say a thing.

gobytron
05-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Prob should have done a couple weeks ago but thought it would move to someone who didn't flake a lot faster for 50.00.

Now we're past that point.

Sick of looking at it/bumping into it.

gobytron
05-10-2016, 08:44 PM
I got rid of a 50 gallon long by just taking it to the dump and tossing it. I took the stand and the lid with it and just chucked it out, they didn't say a thing.

The one on United Blvd?

That would be easy enough...though I'd hate to spend any more money than the 200 I am into this for.

Coasting
05-10-2016, 08:45 PM
I remember for years we used to save up all old glass jars because we couldn't put them in with regular recycling. Then take them to one of those dumpster bins but for glass that was in the parking lot of the home depot by Costco.
I cant seem to find any info on those glass recycling bins online. But perhaps something like that? Just drop it in and be done with it?

gobytron
05-10-2016, 08:47 PM
that would be ideal.

I have a bin at work that I could just toss the glass into as well but would need to be smashed first.

I did talk to a glass recycling place who said I would need to remove the trim before they would take it.

But a lonely bin in an abandoned parking lot sounds enticing...:lol:

gobytron
05-10-2016, 10:14 PM
Alright, so after talking with progressive Waste, they will refuse and aquarium.

The rep was kind enough to say she would check on where I can take it and call me back.

After about 20 mins, she called to say that the only place they will accept the aquarium as is is indeed the wastech transfer station on united blvd.

tarp and smash it is.

Myka
05-11-2016, 03:16 AM
Put a FREE ad up on Kijiji with the details and a pic telling them to go to 900 block of Bob Street. Put the tank at the end of your driveway, or on your lawn. Put a FREE sign on it. It will dispose of itself. :)

I've gotten rid of so many things this way...disgusting old vacuum, window blinds, old mirrors, rickety chair, used clothing/towels. It's amazing what people will take when it's free. :D

moosehead
05-11-2016, 04:11 AM
you should experiment on it see if you can cut it in half with a saw and a tile blade or something. nice to know if these thing are possible or easy.

gobytron
05-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Put a FREE ad up on Kijiji with the details and a pic telling them to go to 900 block of Bob Street. Put the tank at the end of your driveway, or on your lawn. Put a FREE sign on it. It will dispose of itself. :)

I've gotten rid of so many things this way...disgusting old vacuum, window blinds, old mirrors, rickety chair, used clothing/towels. It's amazing what people will take when it's free. :D

I may try this...

you should experiment on it see if you can cut it in half with a saw and a tile blade or something. nice to know if these thing are possible or easy.

Somehow that sounds like a bad idea...

ReganY
05-11-2016, 07:42 PM

+1 I tried this on a old couch of mine. Works very well. Sometimes you don't even have to put a ad on kijiji.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk