PDA

View Full Version : Who 'Has' and 'Hasn't' had success keeping a Copperband?

loumaggs
05-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Who 'Has' and 'Hasn't' had success keeping a Copperband?

Whats your secret?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EteeYHPuLz8

Bblinks
05-09-2016, 07:48 PM
No aggression in the tank, try to put it in before other fishes like tangs. Feeding is tricky but the new LRS food will be perfect for it. Check out youtube for feeding tips but just watch out for your snails and abalones. Once they start eating, that's 75% of the battle. GL

rishu_pepper
05-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Had one for several months, always fed live blackworms and was a voracious eater. Unfortunately it upped and died one day for no apparent reason, wasn't stressed or fighting with any fish or had any signs of disease, no idea what happened. That was a sad day, it was my favourite fish. Don't have the heart to keep one again. :cry:

Bblinks
05-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Forgot to mention flow and water quality is also important.

Ace Storman
05-10-2016, 02:05 AM
Had mine for about 6 month's now. When I first got him from J&L he was 3 days new to them. I got him and he did not eat anything for about 4 weeks...just showed interest in various things. I introduced live clams (from fish counter at Superstore). He immediately took to those and started eating very well. Diet is only clams and raw shrimp now. Veracious appetite now and is doing very well. Has grown substantially and is a good tank janitor.

On the down side, he picks away at tube anemones, some hermit crabs and snails. Lost about a dozen crabs and snails. I found that by heavier feeding he leaves the rest alone.
Very nice fish, one of the better ones in the reef!

kien
05-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Who 'Has' and 'Hasn't' had success keeping a Copperband?

Whats your secret?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EteeYHPuLz8

I don't watch the YouTubes, but I'm definitely curious to hear what your secret(s) are Loumaggs. Can you share here? I haven't had much luck myself but I'd like try another Copperband. It sound like you've had some success ?

kopir
05-11-2016, 03:42 AM
Similar success story: got one from J&L. It wasn't eating anything till I bought clams in Superstore. It got to clams immediately. First batch was live but frozen since then. Also eats oysters and midias but clams seems to be perfect one snack size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theokie
05-11-2016, 02:06 PM
I've had one for about 6 months now, has probably tripled in size. I haven't been able to get him to eat any prepared foods but my 200 gallon tank is full of aptasia and worms, hence the copperband.

I bought him from Big Al's in Edmonton as they had just received a group of the the healthiest copperbands I had seen in awhile, so I purchased the smallest one, along with a Hawaiian Long Nose Butterfly. The Long Nose eats everything and is growing a bit faster then the Copperband.

I feed a variety of frozen sea food along with NLS pellets that everyone else appears to do well on. I also add in baby brine shrimp every few days when I have left overs from feeding some of my smaller critters.

There isn't major aggression in my tank, but it is full of large, semi aggressive fish. Sargassum Trigger, Harelquin tuskfish, Freckleface Tang, Vlamigi tang, majestic foxface, 14 Lyretail Anthias, Long Horn Cowfish, Blue Boxfish, and probably a few others that I can't recall. And before people complain, my tank is tied into a system of over 800 gallons, and is not the "normal" style rectangular tank, its a cube with primarily Gyre type flow, so the fish don't pace the tank but instead swim on the water tread mill.

Scythanith
05-12-2016, 02:41 AM
I had one for about 18 months in an old tall tank with a rock wall. The tank was old and had a very established microfauna. Fish always looked nice and fat, curious, picked at thawed frozen but I never noticed it eating pellets. Lost him in a tank move.

straightrazorguy
05-12-2016, 10:50 PM
I've had my copperband for about 3 years now. I bought it at King Ed, I think. It was difficult to get eating, but, eventually it took to frozen. I only discovered clams in the last year. He is in a 150 gallon community tank with tangs, wrasses, dottybacks, anthias, clownfish, etc. He is a very slow, deliberate eater, and doesn't compete well with fast fish. For a while I got him eating out of my hand; he picked the frozen food from between my fingers with his long beak, something no other fish could do. Now, I feed him first thing in the morning before the wrasses are up and last thing at night, by moonlight, after the wrasses are asleep. He eats out of the water column. In my opinion, if you own one, you must make sure he eats enough, without the competition.

He tripled in size (is about 4.5-5 inches) and has survived a couple of calamities, including a kalkwasser overdose that killed half my livestock. He is now by far the biggest fish in my tank, and I love him!

hfp75
05-14-2016, 05:08 AM
I got mine used from a local canreef'er who was shutting down. So far only issue was my cleaner shrimp x2 and blood shrimp x1 went missing. Having said that I am not sure, it could have been the coral banded shrimp too.....

Either way my tank is shrimp free.....

Just wish something would eat Astra stars and aphasia in the sump.....

Aquattro
05-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Has the OP even come back to discuss, or was this just bait to get us to go to her site?

Ace Storman
05-14-2016, 05:51 AM
As a followup to my previous post, along with my very large CB, I also have 3 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 1 lobster, 1 decorator crab and 1 coral banded shrimp. No problems with cohabitation. :smile:

Myka
05-15-2016, 12:22 AM
Has the OP even come back to discuss, or was this just bait to get us to go to her site?

*crickets*

Scythanith
05-15-2016, 12:48 AM
That is 100% what is going on :)