PDA

View Full Version : GFO Reactors

letsdiscus
05-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Reaching out to all....

Does anyone have a better experience with GFO reactors. Basically i have been having problems with the GFO media getting clogged to early less than a month of replenish.

I have tried RLSS FR#3, PhosBan 150.

There is one observation though, each time i have to use a feed cycle which would switch off my return for few minutes, after re-start, i notice the media starts getting pushed up the reactor all the way on top via the sponge provided.
i have tried replacing the sponge with a mesh of similar size.

My GFO reactor is fed via the Return line with the control valve closed enough to generate a gentle tumble.

brisco
05-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Any chance you could try pluming the reactor on a separate pump? I do that and don't seem to have a problem running GFO in a phosban 150. I usually change it every 3 months or sol

FishyFishy!
05-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Im running vertex 1.5's and i have never had an issue with clogging. That being said, I have never had any reactor clog on me. Lol

Aquattro
05-05-2016, 04:39 PM
I use the PB 150, no issues with clogging ever.

straightrazorguy
05-05-2016, 05:05 PM
I run a NextReef for my GFO. Driven by the return pump. I have a gate valve to throttle the flow down to a slight bubbling of the media, and it never plugs up.

TimT
05-05-2016, 10:03 PM
I use Foz Down and am glad I no longer have to deal with finicky reactors and pricey GFO.

Aquattro
05-05-2016, 11:13 PM
I use Foz Down and am glad I no longer have to deal with finicky reactors and pricey GFO.

I run both :)

TimT
05-06-2016, 12:37 AM
Brad, Try the Foz Down directly into the display tank and that should help with the algae issue.

Myka
05-06-2016, 12:55 AM
I use the PB 150, no issues with clogging ever.

Same here. Once a week during waterchanges I will open the valve a bit and "boil" the GFO. I find that gets more life out of it, and breaks up any tunneling that has formed.

gregzz4
05-06-2016, 01:49 AM
When you say it's getting clogged, do you mean it stops flowing, or it clumps together ?
If it stops flowing, I'll guess it's because every time you restart your pump and it rises to the top, all the fine stuff is plugging up either your sponge or the line itself.

As suggested above, try running your reactor with it's own/dedicated pump.

Or, buy a mesh bag like this (http://www.jlaquatics.com/dry-goods/aquarium-supplies/filter-media/filter-bags-socks/friscer-multi-purpose-filter-bag-6-x-8-8-inch.html) and rinse out all the fine stuff before filling your reactor.

Aquattro
05-06-2016, 03:52 AM
Brad, Try the Foz Down directly into the display tank and that should help with the algae issue.

That's what I do. I ran out, but just got some more.

clermont
05-06-2016, 01:36 PM
I had a similar issue with my gfo reactor when I was running my dosing lines into the same chamber as the reactor. I guess this was the calcium and alkalinity reacting and binding in the reactor?
I moved the lines and haven't had this issue since.

reef-keeper
05-06-2016, 02:56 PM
I don't know if you can do this but if you can turn off a tank inlet valve rather than the pump the flow to the reactor will continue during the feed cycle. Just a thought.