PDA

View Full Version : Owner experiences with Bubble Magus Curve 5 or Curve 7 Skimmers

trilinearmipmap
05-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Looking for peoples experiences with these skimmers particularly from the point of view of noise - are they pretty well silent? Alternatively is there a quieter comparable skimmer with a small footprint?

IanWR
05-03-2016, 03:52 PM
I used the curve 7 on a 72g display. I used a Herbie drain and a DC return pump. The skimmer was the loudest piece of equipment. I found putting some floss in the air muffler brought the noise down slightly. That being said, it was still fairly quiet. When the tv or music was on I didn't notice it. I can't offer personal experience with anything quieter though.

trilinearmipmap
05-04-2016, 03:38 AM
OK thanks I have decided to order the DC version of this skimmer in the hopes that it is quiet.

mrhasan
05-04-2016, 03:45 AM
Skimmer noise is very subjective and something that is quiet to someone may not be the same for another person. Different skimmers emit different types of sounds and people react differently.

I have used curve 7 and I always got compliments on how silent the sump was and it was in the open (no cabinet). It skimmed great too. But like I said, just because I considered it to be silent doesn't mean you will have the same experience. Alongside, the water level and the dial position plays a big role in the noise too. If you want a number to compare, the sump was at around 65dB within 1 feet.

DKoKoMan
12-05-2016, 03:17 AM
I'm currently looking at the Bubble Magus Curve 5 and Curve 7 as a replacement to my Eshopps Pk200 skimmer. I have a 75 Gallon with 30 gallon sump. I'm wondering if I should get the Curve 5 or 7 as there is not much of a price difference.

mrhasan
12-05-2016, 03:20 AM
I'm currently looking at the Bubble Magus Curve 5 and Curve 7 as a replacement to my Eshopps Pk200 skimmer. I have a 75 Gallon with 30 gallon sump. I'm wondering if I should get the Curve 5 or 7 as there is not much of a price difference.

Get the 7 if you can. My tank was about the same size as yours and 7 did it's job.

DKoKoMan
12-05-2016, 03:29 AM
Get the 7 if you can. My tank was about the same size as yours and 7 did it's job.

Ok perfect! That's the information I was looking for. Hopefully the tuning doesn't need to be tweaked all the time like my current Eshopps skimmer :cry:

mrhasan
12-05-2016, 03:32 AM
Ok perfect! That's the information I was looking for. Hopefully the tuning doesn't need to be tweaked all the time like my current Eshopps skimmer :cry:

Once you get it, give it a vinegar bath for few days. The breakin period will be much shorter. Initially, some tweaking will be needed (as with all printer) but once it is all settled, it won't need any more tinkering. At least, that has been my experience.

DKoKoMan
12-05-2016, 04:13 AM
Once you get it, give it a vinegar bath for few days. The breakin period will be much shorter. Initially, some tweaking will be needed (as with all printer) but once it is all settled, it won't need any more tinkering. At least, that has been my experience.

Thanks for the information, appreciate the feedback and your experience.

mrhasan
12-05-2016, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the information, appreciate the feedback and your experience.

You are welcome :)