PDA

View Full Version : My new tank plan & How should i plumb my tank?

Tarolisol
11-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Well i am soon to be ordering my new tank approx. 66"L 30"T 24"D this will be an inwall tank, but in the room where the tank will sit there will be a wall directly on one side of the tank and a support pole aganst the other side. Heres my plan return pump amp master 3000 hooked onto a ocean motions 4-way. So my question is how should i plumb my tank, as in how should the water enter back into my tank with my ocean motions 4-way. If i drill holes where should they be or if over the top where should i direct the water.
Thanks all for any suggestions.

RobinL
11-05-2004, 01:20 AM
I personally would hook up the Ampmaster on to a closed loop with the Ocean n Motion.
as for the placement it would be like this,

http://www.reefsolution.com/gallerie/showphoto.php?photo=467&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=3

And have a another pump of lower volume on the Sump.

RobinL
11-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Front view with the 2 drains in the back.

http://www.reefsolution.com/gallerie/showphoto.php?photo=470&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=3

Tarolisol
11-05-2004, 01:35 AM
any particular reason why i shouldnt use it as a return from the sump as well.

RobinL
11-05-2004, 01:52 AM
I prefer using a smaller volume pump for the return I feel that the sump is a good to increase your water volume and a place to have water collect for your skimmer.Fuge,reactors.

A Ampmaster 3000 is rated 3000gph at 5' so thats a hell of a lot of water going through the overflow/s really dont need that high a volume.
Another thing is the amount of tiny bubbles that will be created will be incredibly high and you will definatly have it returning into the tank at that volume.

On my Tank(125) I have a Rena 1200 for the return at 5" it is supplying 900-1000 gph.

Tarolisol
11-05-2004, 02:13 AM
Hum... i dont really want another pump running, My sump is only goin to be a collecting point for water. My skimmer is goin to be outside my sump and my fuge will be a tank set away from the sump with a mag 7 pumpinh water into that. So in general nothing will be in the sump but water.

RobinL
11-05-2004, 02:48 AM
If you Decide to make your system with the Amp to be your return you definelty must make several Baffels and 2 overflows then.

If you didnt buy your mag 7 yet I would get a larger model T it off with valves and supply your tank and Fuge with one return pump,and place the Amp on a closed loop. :biggrin:

Tarolisol
11-05-2004, 02:51 AM
Well now you have me thinking... i have a mag 18 i was goin to use for my skimmer. But if i use that to return water to the fuge and tank then i would need a pump for my skimmer and theres no way the mag 7 will do it on a beckett skimmer that is 5 feet tall.

Chin_Lee
11-05-2004, 04:24 AM
Tarolisol
I wouldn't consider using a mag 18 for a 5' skimmer because its not pressure rated. I have a 4' dual beckett skimmer and I had a mag 18 AND a mak4 to the injectors which worked well combined. I have changed the configuration since and I got a Iwaki70 teed off to both injectors and thats working well as well. You should consider getting a pump thats pressure rated for that 5' beckett skimmer.

Tarolisol
11-05-2004, 04:37 AM
yeah well im planing on a mak 4 for the skimmer but have to wait for christmas. For now the mag 18 will work fine.

Canadian Man
11-05-2004, 05:57 AM
yeah well im planing on a mak 4 for the skimmer but have to wait for christmas. For now the mag 18 will work fine.

SWC has them on sale for November :biggrin:

Tarolisol
11-05-2004, 06:12 AM
hum what to do, i have a budget in mind so i cant go to crazy. thats the reason for wanting to use the pumps i have and buying one more. mag 7 and 18 and buying ampmaster3000. But now i dont know what to do. Ok lets open this up a bit more. 2500 dollers to spend not including lighting. How would you go about it. Keep in mind the pumps i have. oh yeah and 800 for the tank off of that so about. 1700 give or take a bit.

RobinL
11-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Ok here we go..how to spend your money :lol:

you can go with either the Ampmaster or the Sequence Reeflo Dart Pump which I think was selling for 100$ below Distributor cost 2-3 weeks ago.

For your 5 ' skimmer well like mentioned change the pump as soon as you can I think the New Pressure rated PCX55(MAK) will do a great job.

For the sump return use the pump you have already.

This is just options and suggestions nothing more.

Canadian Man
11-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Yea I had a budget in mind when I was setting up my tank room and It was all too easy to double the budget. :lol:
I would pad your estimate by 50% or so.

Tarolisol
11-05-2004, 10:04 PM
yeah the so called budget. But im sure ill go over but i always round up :biggrin: . So back to teh original question if i use the mag 18 to supply the return from the sump to the tank and fuge, still where should i place all the holes for the oceanmotions and return.