PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Carbon ?

videosilva
05-01-2016, 11:05 PM
I am curious as to who uses carbon in there tanks ? Has any experimented with using and removing carbon. Where there any noticeable effects ?

spedly
05-02-2016, 12:12 AM
I'm running carbon in a reactor right now. I like the water clarity I get and the lack of odours in my basement. I change it every three weeks. I've never tried taking it out but eventually I will I'm sure.

Jordon
05-02-2016, 12:36 AM
I'm currently running Chemi-Pure Blue in my 20g nano, but will be switching to carbon only in the next few months (after i've exhausted the last of my Chemi-Pure Blue)

I like carbon as it really clears the water of any yellowing compounds and for me having a mixed reef, helps absorb some of the "chemical warfare" that can happen. I've personally never noticed any negative effects using carbon - only I have seen is if someone uses too much too fast or too much of an an aggressive variety (ROX 0.5 in large quantities). If you use a proper amount for your tank, it is only beneficial IMO.

I'll be switching to the Aquaforest carbon as it is larger pellets that work slowly and doesn't exhaust as fast. No shocking the tank.

eli@fijireefrock.com
05-02-2016, 01:32 AM
I have used and tried almost all brands of carbon,honestly I will never run my system without any carbon.for best Clarity, coral warfare especially in my system with all types of corals and over 200 fish, keeps it all living in harmony.
I currently use Aqua-Carbon2.0 (http://www.fijireefrock.com/product/aqua-carbon-2-0) as I find if best for extruded size and clean Carbon.
I run a clean system and replace my carbon every 8 weeks.

videosilva
05-02-2016, 02:52 AM
Has anyone experimented with carbon. For example run carbon for a few months and then run with out carbon for a few months ? Were there any noticeable effects besides the clear water. Did you notice any positive/ negative effects from coral etc.

spedly
05-02-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm currently running Chemi-Pure Blue in my 20g nano, but will be switching to carbon only in the next few months (after i've exhausted the last of my Chemi-Pure Blue)

I like carbon as it really clears the water of any yellowing compounds and for me having a mixed reef, helps absorb some of the "chemical warfare" that can happen. I've personally never noticed any negative effects using carbon - only I have seen is if someone uses too much too fast or too much of an an aggressive variety (ROX 0.5 in large quantities). If you use a proper amount for your tank, it is only beneficial IMO.

I'll be switching to the Aquaforest carbon as it is larger pellets that work slowly and doesn't exhaust as fast. No shocking the tank.

This is a really good hint. I've been using Vertex ROX for about a year and a half now. It works great but it's expensive and has to be changed out fairly often. When I have to order more carbon I'm going to go with Aquaforest.

brisco
05-02-2016, 03:19 PM
The only issue with carbon that I am aware of is that it has the potential to strip trace elements from the water. It can apparently continue to do this long after the beneficial properties of clearing the water are exhausted. Because of this I only run carbon for a few days at at time in a filter bag. Perhaps this is an urban myth.