PDA

View Full Version : Which bacteria to kick start with Bio pellets?

kaboom
04-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Just started a new tank with a bio pellet reactor and wondering what are some the brands of bateria additive people are using to kick start the colonization. I've heard of ZeoStart but I'am sure there are others, please share your experience.

Wheelman76
04-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Just started a new tank with a bio pellet reactor and wondering what are some the brands of bateria additive people are using to kick start the colonization. I've heard of ZeoStart but I'am sure there are others, please share your experience.

Zeostart is actually a carbon source for feeding the bacteria ,Zeobak would be the bacteria from KZ. Then there is Microbacter7 (MB7) from Brightwell , there is Pro Bio S from Aqua forest , and there is also the Prodibio and Dr Tim's.

kaboom
04-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Thanks for clarifying, I will research those you mentioned. Which do you have experience with if any.

Wheelman76
04-29-2016, 11:38 PM
Thanks for clarifying, I will research those you mentioned. Which do you have experience with if any.

I have used mb7 many times , I add it to my system every once in a while just to give the bacteria in the system some diversity , however I'm not sure if it's really needed. Some people say it is important so that you don't end up with a mono strain of bacteria.

I've also used zeobak and I will say from my experience that this is a very aggressive strain/strains of bacteria. I had some issues in my display tank after trying to transition my tank to the zeovit system and it didn't go smoothly. My theory is that the zeobak outcompetes or (fights) if you will , with the bacteria already in the system and it causes some unhappy sps. This is only a guess of course but I've seen it happen twice now , the other time I was adding zeobak mixed with coral snow on a non zeovit system to try and combat cyano , and the zeobak caused the same deterioration of my sps.

Myka
04-30-2016, 05:13 AM
The biopellets will seed themselves from the bacteria that are already present in the water column.

kaboom
04-30-2016, 06:32 AM
I agree, however this is a new setup and i am looking for a way to speed up the cycle process. As well adding a variety of bacteria strain to give a more diverse culture wouldn't hurt.

Myka
05-01-2016, 02:55 PM
I agree, however this is a new setup and i am looking for a way to speed up the cycle process. As well adding a variety of bacteria strain to give a more diverse culture wouldn't hurt.

Oic. I like Prodibio Start for new tanks. :)

kaboom
05-01-2016, 03:03 PM
My research has brought me to this conclusion as well, going to go with Prodibio Digest.

Etaloche
05-01-2016, 09:38 PM
I took myka's advice of going with prodibio when I first started my tank and it's been going great. I added a fish 2 days after setting up my tank and dosing prodibio and never saw an ammonia spike so I know it works. I'm getting ready to hook up a biopellet reactor and purchased the prodibio biokit reef to seed the reactor and supplement other nutrients to the tank.

spedly
05-02-2016, 12:22 AM
My LFS gave me a package of Prodibio Start after spending a small fortune on substrate. It worked brilliantly. I never had any measurable ammonia.