PDA

View Full Version : Update: Co-op tank recovery

Cujo#31
04-28-2016, 02:03 AM
Ok folks. It's been a grind squeezing the removal of tanks in amongst the typical.....family, job, life and oh yes, maintaining my own tank. Good news is all that makes sense to remove, and humanly possible to remove has been spared from the wrecking ball.
Moving forward the next item on the agenda is not only a source of funding to make this possible but also a facility. I'm thinking we need something that will house at least 1 4x8 frag table, and one rack system about 10 feet long by about 4 feet wide. That will allow us to house 25-33 gallon tanks for things like unwanted fish, and miscellaneous corals and still allow for the " dear god I need a hospital tank before I lose everything". Just my thoughts in the matter. We should also be looking to form some kind of "committee" to help administer this far fetched crazy -azz idea.
Cheers all

Scarrao
04-28-2016, 04:16 PM
I would be more than happy to help in any way I can

msjboy
04-28-2016, 04:29 PM
Take a look at this setup ( albeit a store/garage setup).

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364550-house-of-sticks-triton-powered-coral-farm-build-log/

reminds me of the equipment needed you can do something like this... the centre piece can be the 8ft frag tank as opposed to their long runway fibreglass lobster tanks.:surprise:

Animal-Chin
04-28-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm interested in what the funding idea is for this? I'm guessing you're going to need about 10 buckets of salt to start, that's about $600 in salt alone.

Do you need lights, heaters and filtration for all of these or did that come with the tear down?

What type of storage are you thinking for this, someones garage or a paid facility? If its at someone's house that's gonna use a lot of power.

I've been following along but just don't understand how this concept works without significant funding from somewhere?

I'd be willing to guess the more info you share the more people would be inclined to help out. I would but really don't understand what's going on here.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-28-2016, 11:59 PM
I have some spare equipment I could probably loan to the project down the line to keep the systems going.

Cujo#31
04-29-2016, 02:52 AM
Well....this is the part where the community kind of jumps on board. I was always just the guy with a truck willing to put my best effort forward to hit a start point. There is not a chance in hell I can either establish, fund, or maintain something of this nature solo effort. Many will poo-poo the idea or the notion. Those of you who are on that side of the fence can stay there. This is still nothing more than an idea or best intended effort to throw something against the wall and "set what sticks".
Do I have any idea where this is headed, what the end result will be.....hell no. But this is the part where we see how many like-minded individuals out there might want to give this a shot. Take a gamble, and at least explore all avenues before the plug is pulled. Not a single person is going to be the solution. If it ultimately ends in an all-out failure....I guess I'm driving a shitload of tanks to the dump. Maybe there is an opportunity to do something to benifit all, perhaps there is a different opportunity that will come of this.
Who knows. But I'm willing to see....

gobytron
04-29-2016, 05:23 PM
If fragging, costs could be offset by selling them.

have always thought a designated place to buy other hobbyists coral on consignment could do quite well.

Offering better prices than LFS and everything sustainable,captive bred.

Would allow hobbyists to sell without the hassle or worrying about store credit only.

Would definitely need someone dedicated.

Cujo#31
05-02-2016, 04:48 AM
If fragging, costs could be offset by selling them.

have always thought a designated place to buy other hobbyists coral on consignment could do quite well.

Offering better prices than LFS and everything sustainable,captive bred.

Would allow hobbyists to sell without the hassle or worrying about store credit only.

Would definitely need someone dedicated.

The possibilities to generate some sort of "living bank account" are definately out there. Certainly not something that can go gang busters and full tilt. There are lots of roadblocks that will have to be overcome. Definately not something that is to be rushed in to. Unless we are independently wealthy and have nothing but time on our hands....😂