PDA

View Full Version : Bad batch of IO salt still circulating?

Willito
11-04-2004, 04:02 PM
I've read about this somewhere and crossed my fingers to have it not come my way. Lucky me, I think I just came across a pail of it. It a 160g pail I purchased a month ago locally. I user it last month as well as this month do my water changes. Here is how I come to determine that it's a bad batch.

My 120g reef was in excellent condition, all corals were flourishing with exceptional polyp extention. All water parameter such as, CA, Alk, Natrite, Ph, temp, were in optimal ranges. Then I went to mix 15g of this salt 24hrs before adding to the sump. It was somewhat murky but I didn't pay much attention to it. A day goes by and I notice all my corals have receded and took on a pale coloration. My initial though was maybe I didn't use the heater or didn't mixed the salt well enough...but that problem should take care of itself after a day, so I thought. Day 3 goes by and slowly some polyps slowly stated to re-emerge. I tested all my parameters and they were still in place. It wasn't until 2 weeks later that things appeared to be back at normal.

Last Saturday, I mix 25gal of the same salt with a heater and a stronger pump for 24 hr. Did the water change and the same thing occured. This time it seemed to be a more servere problem. All the polyps receded and looking very pale, 2 little frags have also bleached. All the fish/inverts seem to not be affected by this. I have added 200gram of carbon on Monday and it seems to be coming around slowly. At the moment, 6 days after, most of the mother colonies are starting to open back up, however the previous color intensity still has ways to go.

I could only blame this on the new bucket IO salt mix. Nothing else has changed. Forgot to mention that during this time my skimmer would not work properly. It would just produce extreme excess bubbles and would just over flow when I plug it in. Doesn't this sound like a chemical problem?

Any how, has anyone experience a similar problem with IO. What have you done about it?

Will.

danny zubot
11-04-2004, 04:21 PM
I haven't experienced anything so extream as in your case, but its sure helpful to know what the possible symptoms are of bad salt mix.

AJ_77
11-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Will, are these symptoms similar to those described by people affected by the "bad IO batch" of recent history?

What did this do to your alk/ca/pH?

Buccaneer
11-04-2004, 09:55 PM
I had a bucket of that bad salt awhile back ... turns out the alkalinity is right off the chart with the bad batch and that is what is affecting the corals ... mix up some water with that salt and test the alkalinity ... if that is in fact the case then do a search on RC for the thread pertaining to this and there is a number and contact name for a guy at IO that will replace your salt buckets with new ones :rolleyes:

< I lost 7 shrimp, school of chromis, firefish ... and more just cant remember all of them :sad: >

Buccaneer
11-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Soooo ? ... what is the alk reading ?

AJ_77
11-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Saw Will at Gold yesterday, he mentioned that his Alk was normal... in fact, all his readings seemed normal. :confused:

Hope this isn't some NEW contamination in IO salt... just got a new small bucket. :evil:

Buccaneer
11-06-2004, 07:40 PM
It is not the tank reading that was off in my case as it seems that the tank equalized the higher alk all by itself after awhile

but the high alk reading ( 3 to 6 times normal :eek: ) when it was just mixed and subsequently introduced to the tank ... the fish/inverts that came into direct contact with the new salt water are the ones that died

my question is whether he has tested a fresh batch of water for alk and what that reading was.

if it turns out that it is not the alk then I would send a sample of the salt to Randy Holmes Farley at RC Chemistry forum for analysis.