PDA

View Full Version : Slim Build Up in Water Reservoir

byee
04-25-2016, 06:09 AM
I've been using a 5 gallon salt bucket as a RODI water reservoir for my ATO. I've also tossed in an old maxijet 400 to run for about 15 minutes every few hours to keep the RODI water circulated

I've noticed a slim build up after a few months at the bottom of the bucket as well as the maxijet 400.

Does anyone know what and why there is a slim build up? Anyone else noticed the same in there RODI water reservoirs?

Thoughts or opinions?

Myka
04-25-2016, 01:12 PM
The slime is bacteria. Bacteria are everywhere, and they will colonize any water that isn't sterilized and totally sealed off. It doesn't hurt anything directly, but it can clog up the ATO hose and put extra stress on the pump. You just need to clean the reservoir once a month or so. If you let it dry out after you clean it out it will stay slime-free for longer.

byee
04-25-2016, 02:09 PM
Will help slow down or eliminate the bacteria growth if I added a 1/8 cup or less of salt into the RODI water in the reservoir?

Myka
04-25-2016, 02:41 PM
Will help slow down or eliminate the bacteria growth if I added a 1/8 cup or less of salt into the RODI water in the reservoir?

No.