PDA

View Full Version : Best way to measure salt for new water?

GoFish
04-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Was just thinking I barely ever use my refractometer anymore ever since weighing salt instead of measuring by the cup. Picked up a digital kitchen scale from Costco a couple years ago and find it way more consistent than measuring by the cup ever was. I mix 10 gallons at a time and add 1440 grams (1.44kg) of basic instant ocean salt. Not sure if other brands require the same weight to water ratio? I get 1.025 every time. This method along with an auto top off = :peace:

Just thought I'd share that tidbit of info in case anyone had/has difficulty with consistency using cups.

If anyone else does this, what brand/type of salt do you use? How much weight and what's your salinity using this method?

gobytron
04-22-2016, 06:48 PM
been using the 1/2 cup per gallon with I/O on and off for years.

3 cups per brimming 5 gallon bucket and pretty much bang on every time.

I don't doubt that using a scale is more accurate but I also never see any ill effects from adding NSW that's not the EXACT same parameters of the tank.

gmann
04-22-2016, 07:08 PM
been using the 1/2 cup per gallon with I/O on and off for years.

3 cups per brimming 5 gallon bucket and pretty much bang on every time.

I don't doubt that using a scale is more accurate but I also never see any ill effects from adding NSW that's not the EXACT same parameters of the tank.

3 cups = 6 gallons no?

gobytron
04-22-2016, 07:29 PM
for sure.

Which about the volume of water in a brimming 5 gallon pail.

the "rim" on the outside of a salt bucket is actually where the 5 gallon mark is, fill it up to the top, it's closer to 6.

if you put 2.5 cups in a brimming 5 gallon, it gets you around 1.22 ppm.

3 cups get's you 1.24-1.25.

Not all buckets are the same, so should say I use IO or Seachem buckets.

Quite a few salt companies use the same bucket manufacturer though.

gmann
04-22-2016, 07:30 PM
did not know that. thank you

Myka
04-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Keep in mind that salt will be heavier when it has absorbed some humidity out if the air. In other words, don't rely on the weight and do check with a refractometer after mixing.

GoFish
04-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Keep in mind that salt will be heavier when it has absorbed some humidity out if the air. In other words, don't rely on the weight and do check with a refractometer after mixing.

Good point. I only have the lid off for 30 seconds each time and buckets are kept in the closet (lowest humidity in the house) and i always scoop the top layer of salt off if that makes any difference who knows.

shiftline
04-23-2016, 01:04 AM
About 1.5 cups of IO reef crystals to 5g bucket of RO usually works out almost perfectly every time for me

ReefGrrl
04-23-2016, 01:10 AM
Good point. I only have the lid off for 30 seconds each time and buckets are kept in the closet (lowest humidity in the house) and i always scoop the top layer of salt off if that makes any difference who knows.

"....if that makes any difference who knows."

I LOVE THAT! Describes my day to day struggles with this wonderful hobby. We can read and read and read and then read some more, and still be not *quite* sure what we are doing is the right thing for that day's situation. And this is usually after very careful consideration and being sure not to respond in panic mode.

I apologize for the off-topic response, but just the way you wrote that made me laugh. :lol:

But hey - I guess I can in fact contribute - I use H2Ocean salt, with a level half cup of stirred-up salt taken from my big so-heavy-I-can't-move-it bucket, dumped into one gallon of room temperature RO/DI water in a two-gallon plastic former Milk Bone dog biscuit jar (clear plastic, cylindrical shape). I have three of these, and usually mix one gallon in each. Then I get my big plastic slotted spoon and stir it madly in one direction until there's a whirlpool in the middle, then abruptly stop and go the other direction (takes about 12 fast stirs), repeat, then walk away and let them all clear. Then I pour them into each other several times to aerate and mix the water further.

Measures 1.025 every time - I always check before using it. I also check the temperature before doing the water change and if it's more than 5 degrees different than the tank, I put the big jugs on the heated bathroom floor for about an hour - this always does the trick.

Well now. I didn't realize I actually had a "regimen." Huh.

brisco
04-24-2016, 05:40 PM
I only do water changes on Wednesdays in months that have an R in them and a waxing gibbous moon! Lol :mrgreen:

ReefGrrl
04-26-2016, 08:10 PM
I only do water changes on Wednesdays in months that have an R in them and a waxing gibbous moon! Lol :mrgreen:

:biggrin: Oh, how I aspire to that type of schedule....but I don't run a skimmer in the 29 cube, so it's 10% every 4-5 days for me.

Jordon
04-27-2016, 07:36 PM
I weigh mine. Currently using Aquavitro Salinity and 333g is perfect for 2.5 gallons. This gives you 1.025 SG

I just use a digital kitchen scale. In fact I haven't used a refractometer regularly in a looooooong time, although maybe every 10 water changes or so test it just to be sure, and it's always been 100% accurate.

Craigdillman
04-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Lol I'm old school I dump in salt until it tests 1.025 on the refractomoter lol

gregzz4
04-28-2016, 01:31 AM
I've found success with a measuring cup using IO. Maybe my measuring cup is off a bit but meh ...

When I add 9x375ml of salt to 26g of RO I get a perfect 1.026 the next evening

Any other volumes I just adjust the #s

emerald crab
04-28-2016, 02:32 AM
I always weigh all the ingredients of my SW and the results are pretty consistent.
I weigh K, Mg and Ca chloride and the salt (I.O.), Lugols solution goes by the drop.