PDA

View Full Version : Sedra 3500 - Needle Wheel Required?

Zarstar
04-19-2016, 12:39 AM
So this may be a bit of a reach...

Does anyone know if the Sedra pumps with a venturi will work for a skimmer without the needle wheel? I have tried searching and can't get the needle wheel assembly without going to the US and the price quickly adds up to around $100. I can however get the regular impeller assembly in Canada for around $30. I have a venturi for it but i have no idea if it would work as a skimmer pump without the needle wheel.

Anyone with experience or insight - your help is appreciated!

Skimmer Juice
04-19-2016, 02:59 AM
So this may be a bit of a reach...

Does anyone know if the Sedra pumps with a venturi will work for a skimmer without the needle wheel? I have tried searching and can't get the needle wheel assembly without going to the US and the price quickly adds up to around $100. I can however get the regular impeller assembly in Canada for around $30. I have a venturi for it but i have no idea if it would work as a skimmer pump without the needle wheel.

Anyone with experience or insight - your help is appreciated!

yes you still need the skimmer needle wheel . Im selling a sedra 5000 pump for 50 and I have the needle wheel

Zarstar
04-19-2016, 03:18 PM
I think that might be too much for the skimmer I have... I've also had about 5 or so of the sedra needlewheels fail on me so I think I'm gonna look at getting a different brand now that I can't buy replacement needle wheels... thanks though

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Myka
04-19-2016, 07:14 PM
Did you check with Ray at Reef Supplies? He carries the Sedra skimmer pumps and I bet he could get you a replacement needlewheel.

Zarstar
04-20-2016, 12:58 AM
Did you check with Ray at Reef Supplies? He carries the Sedra skimmer pumps and I bet he could get you a replacement needlewheel.
It's $70 on their website (probably gets it from the US lol) plus $10 shipping. Not to be a downer but I think that's a bit pricey for a magnet and some plastic. I think I'll look at some pumps and see what I can find. Just has to be 350gph.

Myka
04-20-2016, 01:18 AM
It's $70 on their website (probably gets it from the US lol) plus $10 shipping. Not to be a downer but I think that's a bit pricey for a magnet and some plastic. I think I'll look at some pumps and see what I can find. Just has to be 350gph.

That sounds about right. :) Impellers aren't cheap.

mike31154
04-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Have you considered making your own? Seems to me I saw some diy tutorials on the subject years ago.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=diy+needle+wheel.&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJiJWljqDMAhUGtYMKHWENALcQsAQIHg&biw=1280&bih=606

Zarstar
04-26-2016, 11:52 PM
Have you considered making your own? Seems to me I saw some diy tutorials on the subject years ago.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=diy+needle+wheel.&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJiJWljqDMAhUGtYMKHWENALcQsAQIHg&biw=1280&bih=606
I like your style lol there are definitely some creative ideas there...