PDA

View Full Version : Jellyfish tank - Update 3

loumaggs
04-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone, I'm back home now so thought I'd do an update on my jellyfish tank

Sadly one died while I was away and I'm looking for a permanent solution to the high nitrates from such a small system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zokh-Ni1CnA

Animal-Chin
04-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Ya I've heard more negative things about these tanks than positive unfortunately. They are cool looking but it doesn't seem like they last very long...

Dearth
04-19-2016, 03:34 AM
Are you planning on getting more jellyfish? I am happy to see yours are doing well

I guess there is no real way to agitate the bottom of the tank to get the buildup off the bottom?

Thank you for the update I'm always curious at how your tank is doing

shiftline
04-19-2016, 06:35 AM
Try a bag of chemipire blue Worked well in my 30g nano

jason604
04-21-2016, 06:13 AM
Im thinking about building one of these tanks in my wall but their mortality rate is so low that it sways me the other way.

Bayside Corals
04-21-2016, 07:38 PM
Feed live baby brine shrimp. It will solve most of your problems. When you feed dried food the uneaten food settles and does not get eaten so it dirties up the tank alot quicker. Baby shrimp stay alive until they are eaten.

I have the 25 gallon version. Haven't lost a jelly yet and has been much easier to maintain than I thought. But I feed exclusively live baby brine shrimp.

Colby

Scythanith
04-21-2016, 11:11 PM
Feed live baby brine shrimp. It will solve most of your problems. When you feed dried food the uneaten food settles and does not get eaten so it dirties up the tank alot quicker. Baby shrimp stay alive until they are eaten.

I have the 25 gallon version. Haven't lost a jelly yet and has been much easier to maintain than I thought. But I feed exclusively live baby brine shrimp.

Colby

That's cause you're a boss!

jason604
04-26-2016, 06:32 AM

Colby

How long as your tank been up for?

PixSell
06-08-2016, 03:42 AM
Colby, Hi!
Glad to hear your jellies are still pulsing about. They're getting pretty close to their full natural lifespan. Way to go. :-)
'Jellyfish' Chris

PixSell
06-08-2016, 03:43 AM
I will second Colby's suggestion of feeding live brine shrimp. Either fed within hours of hatching before they use up their nutritious egg/yolk sac (about 24 hours) or enriched at about 48 hours (of starting them in the hatchery) for 12 hours or so.

The advantages of live foods for jellyfish can't be overstated. You'll have healthier jellies and significantly less tank maintenance.

Feed live baby brine shrimp.
Colby

PixSell
06-08-2016, 04:16 AM
I'm looking for a permanent solution to the high nitrates from such a small system

Pack the outer ring of the Orbit with something like SeaChem's De-Nitrate or very dense live rock (You're looking to take advantage of anaerobic bacteria in the dense media). The low flow rate of the orbit makes this pretty effective. And, carbon dose. Something like RedSea's NO3:PO4-X to help keep the bacteria strong.

You can add an open airline (blowing big bubbles/no air stone/diffuse'r) to the upper part of the outer ring adjacent to but away from the water pump. This'll help keep the dissolved O2 up which, in-turn, also helps keep the pH up and happy jellies.

Cheers,
Chris

shiftline
07-15-2016, 02:58 AM
Very cool. I won a little 3G jelly tank .still waiting for it to show up up though

shiftline
08-04-2016, 06:24 AM
So are you guys hatching brine shrimp daily to keep the jellies going?

Serpantkeeper
08-08-2016, 04:49 PM
What type of tank is a "jelly fish tank"

PixSell
10-04-2016, 09:25 PM
What type of tank is a "jelly fish tank"
To give you an idea of what a jellyfish aquarium is, check these out.

[Edit; links to non sponsor vendors not permitted]

What makes a jellyfish aquarium, a jellyfish aquarium is flow/circulation management.

So are you guys hatching brine shrimp daily to keep the jellies going?

Not necessarily every day. But, pretty regularly, yes. We refrigerate the brine shrimp shortly after hatching or enriching, where they remain nutritious for a few days.

PixSell
10-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Very cool. I won a little 3G jelly tank .still waiting for it to show up up though

Did you get your aquarium? How's it going?