PDA

View Full Version : Local Shops

Allpointswest
04-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Hi I am from out of town and will be in the lower mainland next weekend. I am looking for Local shops that carry fish and corrals as well as equipment. I know of J&L Aquatics and will be stopping there but on the Sunday before driving home I am hoping to not have to drive all the way back across the Portman.

Any Ideas would be great
Thanks

Chris

WarDog
04-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Take the Alex Fraser or Patullo bridges, they are free.

Ryanerickson
04-16-2016, 10:25 PM
And you get to see surrey

Allpointswest
04-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Yea I am not worried about the toll for the bridge. Its the time related to going all the way back into to J&L. I have to travel back up to PG on the Sunday so leaving J&L at 1pm (they open at 12pm) ends up getting back into PG between 10 and 11pm depending on traffic.

whatcaneyedo
04-17-2016, 01:30 AM
King Eds is also in Burnaby. Buckets of salt always seem to be little cheeper there.

gobytron
04-17-2016, 04:17 PM
King eds is redoing a bunch of their plumbing now and may not be worth the trip at the moment.

JL aquatics is the only game in town really.

They make the most of it and should be worth the drive.

You're better off to arrange to see a few local reefers than plan any kind of lfs tour here though.

Pm wheelman for example.

Guaranteed you'll want to bring some things he's got home.

monocus
04-17-2016, 04:53 PM
plumbing is done at that section.i find the perimeter road faster than the freeway

summer57
04-17-2016, 06:27 PM
The Patullo bridge is undergoing closures and single lane traffic. The Alex Fraser was crazily backed up Saturday afternoon. If time's an issue, I'd take the Port Mann.

WarDog
04-17-2016, 06:35 PM
JL aquatics is the only game in town really.

Pm wheelman76 for example.

+1 and +1.

So on Sunday, you are on the East side of the Port Mann?

For corals go hit up Ryanerickson, and for fish go see Kevin at Net Caught Marines Direct (FB). Both are in Surrey.

albert_dao
04-17-2016, 07:23 PM
+1 and +1.

So on Sunday, you are on the East side of the Port Mann?

For corals go hit up Ryanerickson, and for fish go see Kevin at Net Caught Marines Direct (FB). Both are in Surrey.

No love for Albert :(

Hater.

WarDog
04-17-2016, 07:31 PM
No love for Albert :(

Hater.

Albert owes me a frag.

Riggsy
05-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Really?... King Eds in New Westminster, J&L in Burnaby, and Aquariums West downtown Vancouver are the only saltwater supply stores available to us here in the Lower Mainland???

Are there not any other options available to us??

& "Yes" I do love visiting other reefers and seeing what they have & chatting, but there is something fun about cruzing an actual store with corals, fish, equipment,.... I do realize that the digital age and certianly this bullitin board has certianly improved the reefing hobby, not to mention the great fellow reefers I've met. But a brick & morter store has something to offer too.

Can anyone think of any other lower mainland fish stores for reefers?

Ryanerickson
05-27-2016, 06:49 PM
Thats all of them

Riggsy
05-27-2016, 07:01 PM
All I can say is 'Wow'.

Roskoreef
05-27-2016, 07:06 PM
How does Calgary have more??? Makes no sense

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

WarDog
05-27-2016, 07:20 PM
It's a tough market.

Bblinks
05-27-2016, 07:34 PM
How does Calgary have more??? Makes no sense

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Calgary used to have more......not sure now...

rishu_pepper
05-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Pet Lovers in Abbotsford and Apets in Richmond are also alternatives.

albert_dao
05-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Calgary used to have more......not sure now...

They have way more. Was just there two months ago. I still have no clue why Calgarians think GVRD is some sorta reefer mecha...

Riggsy
05-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Just tried to access pet lovers website - down or doesn't exist. tried calling a few times - busy signal.

Apets in richmond - website looks like a dog & cat pet store.

????

duncangweller
05-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Paul's Aquatics behind Costco in Surrey. I haven't been there for a while but they usually sell fish and corals.

Animal-Chin
05-27-2016, 08:47 PM
Pet Lovers is still open and has a fairly large salt section. Lots of fish and usually a good selection of coral. I have a bunch in my tank from them and all the fish have done really well. Worth a trip a few times a year IMO.

Was at Pauls a few weeks ago too and they had almost no coral, just a few softies and hardly any fish. Some clowns, damsels, that sort of thing. A couple of naso tangs. Small store with a little salt section, I'd never go back.

BCOrchidGuy
05-27-2016, 10:03 PM
King Eds is also in Burnaby. Buckets of salt always seem to be little cheeper there.

I used to be a hard core King Ed fan, now the service is worse than ever and prices are crazy.

J&L is almost always cheaper on everything PLUS they know their stuff

KPG007
05-27-2016, 10:42 PM
There is also Petland in Langley. I know they were trying hard with salt when I was there last, but that was about a year ago.

If you do decide to visit a few people for corals in Surrey, pop by my place. I have lots to choose from.

Riggsy
05-28-2016, 04:44 AM
!!!! re Kelly's corals (aka KPG007). Nice guy to talk to and great selection of corals!!!!!

duncangweller
05-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Petland isn't really worth the trip. They have a handful of dying corals, 3 fish and a snail. They have a large tank set up but have never really done anything with it.

The fish guy there told me they don't have the budget to start the salt section for a long time to come.

trilinearmipmap
05-28-2016, 03:05 PM
for fish go see Kevin at Net Caught Marines Direct (FB)

I have never heard of this place and the Facebook page did not have any up to date information - can anyone elaborate?

WarDog
05-28-2016, 03:37 PM
I have never heard of this place and the Facebook page did not have any up to date information - can anyone elaborate?

Did you try contacting him?

rishu_pepper
05-28-2016, 05:23 PM
Just tried to access pet lovers website - down or doesn't exist. tried calling a few times - busy signal.

????

Pet Lovers has a relatively well-kept Facebook page.

Apets has a small selection of SW fish and corals.

GMGQ
05-29-2016, 04:30 PM

????

Apets is reaaaallly hit n miss (99% miss!). You gotta go when he gets a new shipment so u can save those animals before they are released into those toxic tanks. Otherwise, standard stock is very lacking, and frankly not worth a random visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk