PDA

View Full Version : Halide/T5HO color combo

warriorcookie
04-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Sorry for another "which color combo of t5's should i run?" thread. I've been having a hard time finding the answer I'm looking for.

Just picked up a 2x 250w halide with 4x T5HO fixture. Using it on a 48"x24x24 120gal tank with lps and sps.

I have 2 new Phoenix 14k bulbs.

For the T5's I'm not sure what to run. I'm looking for pop and good fluorescing, but worried about giving too much red.

I've seen a couple recommendations for running all ATI Blue Plus. I feel like i should have a purple and one or two actinics though....

Who can help me out? Thanks!

Ryanerickson
04-10-2016, 05:31 PM
I would run blue plus. atinic bulbs don't do much when mixed with halide you can barely tell there on.

WarDog
04-10-2016, 05:43 PM
I would run blue plus. atinic bulbs don't do much when mixed with halide you can barely tell there on.

+1

warriorcookie
04-11-2016, 03:14 AM

+1

Wow, ok cool. I thought for sure some Actinic was the way to go. I will give the blue plus a go.

What about running a single purple? Placement?

{Back}
Blue +
Blue +
2x 14k Phoenix
Purple+
Blue+
{Front}

Suggestions? Move the purple? Forget the purple?

WarDog
04-11-2016, 03:26 AM
It's going to boil down to your personal preference. Buy the bulbs and try your own combinations, but Ryan's comment on the actinics still stands.

Myka
04-11-2016, 03:41 AM
warriorcookie, did you buy that 36" fixture? If so, send me a text and you can borrow some of my bulbs and test them out. I use Blue Plus for the dusk/dawn effect on my tank. The halides should take care of the rest of the spectrum for you.

warriorcookie
04-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Sure did. I'm replacing all the fans in it as it's quite noisy. Got some silent computer fans, opened up the factory fan holes, and added grills. Now it flows more air and should be almost silent.

Need to add a 12v power supply though as the old fans were 120v. And i need another power bar for my apex so i can control it too...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Ryanerickson
04-11-2016, 06:03 PM
If your looking for a lot of pop you could use a couple atinic bulbs that run after halide turns off but like I said before they will make almost no difference while halide is on. Btw blue plus to the eye is very similar to the color of a radium 400 w bulb I added them to take away shadows they don't really produce any pop for the coral like a blue led or atinic bulb.

Myka
04-11-2016, 09:00 PM
If you're looking for actinic the UVL Super Actinic is the bees knees, but they've been impossible to locate for me for a couple years now.

JoshL
04-18-2016, 03:48 PM
I miss t12 vho actinic and Metal halide.