PDA

View Full Version : New LR is causing some problems

jess128
11-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Well they're just minor problems, and they're more like issues, not problems. I got 60lbs of live fiji in my 65gal tank last Sunday. My main problem at the moment is that my bedroom and the basement stink. The tank is in my bedroom which is in the basement. It smells really really bad and I had the window open all day today but nothing has changed. Will the smell go away with time? Or will it always be stinky... also, the tank doesn't have a cover on it right now, would a hood help with the smell?

I also have a question about lights on the rock. I have 2 65W actinics and 2 65W 10000K. I've been turning the lights on when I get up in the morning around 6:30 and turning them off around 7pm. Do they need to be on that long? Should I set them on a timer?

I think those are the only issues at the moment, thanks for any help.
-Jess

mr_alberta
11-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Hey! I'm in the same boat you are. The rock that Josh brought back was uncured stuff and man does it reeeeeek! Luckily, the smell should go away in a week or two (that's right...we'll have to put up with it for a week or two :eek: )

Just let the rock do its thing and cycle. I personally don't bother turning on the light during the cycle. Why burn the bulbs when you really don't have to? Its up to you though. Some like running thier lights during the cycle for any possible photosynthetic life that may be clinging to life on the rocks. Usually, a photoperiod is 12 hours or so.

As for the cover, I wouldn't put one on. Putting on a cover hinders gas exchange and temperature regulation via evaporation. Anyway, have fun with the new rock!

Azilla
11-03-2004, 01:29 AM
mY kANia rock stunk alot. My room is all in 1. Livin room and bedroom together i did my water change weekly and added 2 cups of carbon to my sump smell went away, On my skimmer i place some carbon to stop the odor. Give it some time.

jess128
11-03-2004, 03:24 AM
Alright thanks guys. I think I'll be sleeping in the spare room tonight! The smell is so bad... oh well, I got it for such a good price from Josh I'm very willing to deal with a bad smell. I guess I'll just keep the lights off if they don't really need to be on. Thanks for you help.
-Jess

Chad
11-03-2004, 03:47 AM
just a note, you will want to change your tank water regularly to cure that rock. Otherwise it just builds up ammonia and such from all the decomposing.

So if you want the stench to go away faster, do a water change every couple of days. Do a search, you should be able to find some good info on curing LR.

dbdavid
11-03-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm with Chad on this one.
I had uncured rock as well and I did a 15-20% water change every day for the first 5 days and then every 2 days for the next 5 days. There was no noticeable smell during that time, trust me I'd still me hearing about it from my wife. It was 1 box in a 29gal tank. I also had every power head and pump I have in there for circulation.

My theory is if is smells that bad how can any of the life clinging to that very expensive rock survive. But hey that's just my theory! :crazyeye:

Dave