PDA

View Full Version : Induced Coral Spawning

soapy
04-08-2016, 04:14 AM
Link FYI:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/great-barrier-reef-coral-reproduces-in-london-tap-water-a-long-way-from-home-20160108-gm1smv.html

brisco
04-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Are you going to try that in your aquarium?

soapy
04-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Maybe someday? If there was more info on how to do it, aside from setting up a lighting system that matches the sun cycle in the tropics etc. On another site this same guy implies they do a sunset followed by a full moon simulation to get the corals to spawn. Not much info given.

The other thing is I can't see a lot of reason to get the corals to spawn aside from feeding the tank maybe? If you could do selective breeding to mix colour morphs then you would have something cool. Otherwise fragging works just fine for making new coral without the trouble of having them pop up all over the tank. I suppose it would be cool to do just for the sake of trying. Like many other reefers I've had blue clove polyps spawn, pretty cool to see.

brisco
04-09-2016, 01:33 AM
It would be really neat to watch....the skimmer would go nuts, and all the fish would probably stuff themselves! My impression was that they were messing around with something else too IVF?

soapy
04-09-2016, 03:50 AM
In vitro fertilization. But the article is not really clear on how they are using it.