PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Input for the 150

Coasting
04-07-2016, 05:32 AM
I want more fish!!!!

Hopefully the experts here can help me pick out a few....
I would like reef safe in terms of - Doesn't eat coral
I do not keep any type of crabs or shrimp, just snails, theres only 5 snails in the tank right now but I will be grabbing more.
I would really like some bright colours, reds/pinks etc...

I have come to the conclusion that my melanurus is a total dick head. He is the largest fish in the tank, and can be a total jerk at times.
I will have to catch and re-home my butterfly, not because he's eating my coral, because the melanurus is attacking him. He leaves the tangs alone but the poor butterfly....

I need a sturdy fish that wont take any shit from the melanurus. Heck even my anthias who used to rule the tank is scared of him now haha.

I know I run the issue that turd face was in the tank first so he is likely going to go after anyone new. I know the mirror trick, it seems to make him more psychotic. The new tanks glass must be more reflective on the inside or something because hes really chasing his reflection too.

Currently
1 lyretail anthias
1 yellowtail damsel
2 clowns
1 Formosa wrasse
1 melanurus wrasse
1 small sailfin tang
1 small kole tang
1 sailfin blenny
Butterfly to be rehomed if I can catch him. poor dude.

I am thinking of adding another wrasse from the coris genus. (J&L lists a black stripe right now, unsure on its size)
Not sure if I want to risk a fox face with my coral even though the butterfly has been reasonable, more pecking not really eating.
Fairy wrasse are a no go, too delicate lol
its gotta be a bigger fish that can hold its own, no sissys.
Not sure if I want to risk a trigger or.....
Hogfish sound sturdy, but I worry about the "fish eating" prospect that seems to follow their description. And I like my smaller fish.
Perhaps a dottyback at the very last fish?
and obviously look way different then the others. Id love a 4 spot yellow wrasse....

So what are some ideas?

GoFish
04-07-2016, 02:26 PM
I want more fish!!!!

I have come to the conclusion that my melanurus is a total dick head....can be a total jerk at times....I will have to catch and re-home my butterfly...because the melanurus is attacking him...I need a sturdy fish that wont take any shit from the melanurus. Heck even my anthias who used to rule the tank is scared of him now haha....I know I run the issue that turd face was in the tank first so he is likely going to go after anyone new.

So what are some ideas?

Ummm find a new home for dick head/jerk/turd face :wink:

Coasting
04-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Ummm find a new home for dick head/jerk/turd face :wink:

Come catch him for me ;) He is very cautious, I would get every other fish in a trap ages before he would ever go near it. And if I stick a net in the tank, hes in the sand for hours.

I do quite like him, and his colours. And I'm sure if he's not there, somebody else will become the new dick head jerk turd face.

Do they make Valium for fish?

proudnewbie
04-07-2016, 03:13 PM
How about a Macropharyngodon meleagris wrasse?
If your tank is established enough.

GoFish
04-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Come catch him for me ;).... I'm sure if he's not there, somebody else will become the new dick head jerk turd face.
Do you have enough water storage tanks to drain the tank and grab him? Never know til you know

Coasting
04-07-2016, 03:22 PM
How about a Macropharyngodon meleagris wrasse?
If your tank is established enough.

Pods don't exist in my tank. Haven't in awhile since I added the Melanurus. Now nothing stands a chance at surviving with the Formosa. I think I need to be able to rely on a fish eating frozen or pellet.
Leopard wrasse are pretty cool, but I have a feeling once it turns adult as well and goes male, it will look too much like dick head.

And dick head seems to be behaving himself so far this morning. But that's not to say he wont go psycho later.

I am leaning towards an Indigo Dottyback and that Coris wrasse. Perhaps still getting some anthias.... Cant decide.

Coasting
04-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Do you have enough water storage tanks to drain the tank and grab him? Never know til you know

There is no way in hell I am draining this tank after what it took to get the rock work in and fill it! I would rather deal with a fish killer then ever have to do that LOL
The only way he was caught in the previous tank was removing ALL the rock and water and getting Warren to come help LOL
So he is staying in the tank.

hunggi74
04-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Warren knows people! Coral whisperer and fish whisperers! I agree it's the poo poo head that should go. i know someone else having same issues with same fish. You won't be able to add any new fish with confidence unless he's out.

WarDog
04-07-2016, 07:51 PM
It's a lie. I don't know anyone.

Animal-Chin
04-07-2016, 08:13 PM
I love my big green bird wrasse, awesome personality and they are huge fish.

Secondly, I love my Huma Huma trigger. Doesn't touch coral but is a risk from what I've heard.

Honorable mentions that I've had great success with are the Oriental Sweetlips and the Square Spot Anthias. All big fish that are reef safe in my tank even though some arnt classified as such.

Coasting
04-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Poo Poo head is totally behaving himself today. Don't know what the deal is. Bipolar fish? Again... If somebody can hook me up with some fish valium I think that will solve all the issues! Poo Poo face has no issues with the Tangs that were added at the same time as the Butterfly. And poo poo head was fine with the butterfly for the first... well up until the last 2 days.... ugh. Id say maybe ill leave a lid off and let him jump but knowing my luck he will chase everyone else out and he will once again be the only one left ;)
Gonna try my luck with the coris and hog and a few more anthias so they at least have a group.

Coasting
04-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Trying to catch them both.
All i can seem to catch are the new guys i picked up. Damn....

Coasting
04-07-2016, 10:41 PM
I need a real fish trap. My timmies cup is only working for the new fish!
Thinking ill have to bait it with an open brain coral if I want to catch the butterfly.
Ive got a net above the mirror on the side of the tank for the melanurus....
They know my plan. Because i can catch just about everyone else no issue....

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW%20150/20160407_145220.jpg

tang daddy
04-08-2016, 02:36 AM
Get a proper fish trap and let it sit in your tank for a few days even a week keep throwing shrimp tied to a large Coral base so fish can only eat inside, let everyone go in and eat, once he sees all the fish go in and out eating and he is just sitting outside he will go in. Let him go in and eat all the time then bam game over!

It isn't hard, I've caught many fish that way, eventually they all submit, you are smarter than your fish.... I have also have a fish trap!

Coasting
04-08-2016, 03:14 AM
Hey I thought my make shift trap was pretty good :razz: I would have caught numerous fish with it today.... almost every fish but the 2 I wanted. The butterfly would sit and watch all the other fish go in the cup, but nope! He loves eating the frozen food that's made it too the ground in that corner so I thought for sure...

Yeah a real fish trap is probably a good idea. OR 2....

Richmond is 1 far away land to try and bug you to borrow a trap ;)

brisco
04-08-2016, 03:24 AM
you know a flame angle or a coral beauty would make a nice addition.

Coasting
04-08-2016, 03:26 AM
you know a flame angle or a coral beauty would make a nice addition.

No more coral eating fish :lol:

hunggi74
04-08-2016, 06:09 AM
I gots a fish trap you can use if you don't mind coming out this way

Coasting
04-08-2016, 12:54 PM
What part of Vancouverland is the "slocan" area anyway?
Im gonna cross my fingers for somebody a little closer to start with. My schedule is packed right now not sure if ive got time to go anywhere. If j&l had them that would work too :(

It would be cool if the wrasse just scared the butterfly into my net. But nooooo.

soapy
04-08-2016, 01:11 PM
What part of Vancouverland is the "slocan" area anyway?
The Calgary part.

Coasting
04-08-2016, 03:36 PM
I hate when you lose new fish.
I am super embarrassed for my new fish right now.
I did my typical rush out in the morning and make sure all the new fish are still good.
Okay too early for the coris wrass she must be still sleeping in the sand since my Formosa is still not around.
Come out an hour later and.... okay theres the formosa... cant find the black stripe coris.... crap!
Still looking
Cant find the fish..
Shit..
I hate buying new one that dont make it through the night....
She didnt hide at all yesterday so i didnt expect her to hide for days like some do....
Wait!
Found her!

http://youtu.be/V1P5qF1spmI

I would just like to point out that there was more then 1" of bottle below the sand.

I guess some fish require no effort to capture ...

Why couldn't the butterfly do that....

hunggi74
04-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Slocan is east Van. About 10 min on highway from JL. Between Renfrew and Nanaimo. JL has them for sale. I have Aquamedic brand. If you're closer to Warren I can get it to him and you can pickup from him?

gobytron
04-08-2016, 07:12 PM
If I had a tank that size again, I'd get a harem of royal grammas.

You'd have to wait to find one that was huge so you can be somewhat sure it's a male but the females will all post up separately in a hole and build bubble nests and the male will spend his days going from nest to nest.

I had this in my 90 but also had to trade in 2 grammas before the lack of aggression from the large male indicated the smaller 3 were all female.

Kind of a pain but well worth it in my mind....they're inexpensive and really pretty, active fish.