PDA

View Full Version : cyano question

danny zubot
11-02-2004, 03:20 PM
I have a patch here and there of cyano bacteria which I'd like to remove.

It erks me because I've been lucky with my tank in the past, having none at all and then all of the sudden I arrives like a phantom plague! :evil: My water quality is good so I can't figure out where it comes from. I'd like to siphon it out but I'm scared that it may spread further if disprupted. What is the best way to rid myself of this pesti crap? :mad:

Danny

dirtyreefer
11-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Keep siponing, but what I did was removed the large portion of the siphon, so you just have the long tube for vacuuming. That gives you way more control over what you are getting.

Also, when vacuuming, you can put your thumb over the end of the siphon to stop it from just gushing unnecessary water, target where you want to really get at and then let your thumb off to start it again.

danny zubot
11-02-2004, 03:35 PM
I'll probly be rediculed for this but is there an additive one can use to get rid of it? This probly isn't the best way but it would certainly be easier.

AJ_77
11-02-2004, 03:38 PM
If it gets to the point over time where it's just ridiculous (and everywhere), try the Chemi-Clean. Works like a charm, just do the water change after.

For smaller patches, syphon it up with a small-diameter tube. You can skim just the mat off the sand that way.

albert_dao
11-02-2004, 03:48 PM
There's also a product called Red-X which a lot of people have had good results with.

monza
11-02-2004, 04:48 PM
How is you flow in those problem areas, more flow might help.

Dave

danny zubot
11-02-2004, 04:58 PM
I might have a dead spot or two, but over all I think its pretty much covered. I have a spray bar for my return that runs down the back corner of the tank giving a general forward flow at about 1000gph. Then I have a Maxi jet 1200 blowing down over the reef, its kind of an under tow effect.

RobbAdams
11-02-2004, 06:08 PM
I have an unused container of ChemClean you could use it if you like. I bought it but also bought another power head at the same time. The increase flow cleared it up in about a week. Siphon out clumps, and incerase flow. I arranged my powerheads in a way to keep the flow very circular in the tank, and then after about a week I switched them all to the opposite direction (Clockwise first week, and then counter clockwise the second week) after it cleared up I went back to my powerheads aimed all over the place "Regular " set up. I also started running carbon at that time, so this may have had some effect.

Robb

danny zubot
11-02-2004, 06:33 PM
I think I may try the siphone method tonight with a water change and see what happens over the next few days. If it persists I will gladly try some of your Chemi Clean Robb, thanks for the offer too. Maybe I'll add another power head an see what effect that has.

TANGOMAN
11-02-2004, 10:04 PM
I've encountered my share of cyano blooms in a number of my tanks. I always fall victim now to "chemical warfare". I use "Red Slime Remover". I believe "Red Sea" is the manufacturer. I hate using additives but it works. Every time! It's expensive. About $ 30.00. That'll give ya' numerous treatments though, if needed.
It's had no ill effects on fish or inverts. It does give the water an unsightly yellow tinge. Turn your skimmer off 'cause it'll make a mess too. It kicks the hell outa' the pH though so go hard with airstones and "test the waters" daily.
Good luck.

Captainhemo
11-03-2004, 01:31 AM
I used a similar product, " Red Slime Remover" by Ultra Life, maybe the same stuff. It worked great. It was a poweder you mix with a bit of tank water then just pouor it in.... it was fairly expensive as well, about $30 but I still have lots left for future use if neeed. It is supposed to be invert/reef safe, I hd no ill effects. Also discolored the tnak for a few days but I was very impressed with how well it wrked. Been a couople of months now and have no sign of any Red Slime sice :) Great product !!

danny zubot
11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Well, I lost the battle but not the war. I siphoned the cyano every other day and it has still came back. I went out and got some Red Sea-red slime remover and did a double dose as recommended. There is no mension of a water change in the intructions though. I was going to do a 25% to 27% change tonight, hopefully that will be enough! Thanks for your help everyone.