PDA

View Full Version : LF: Tropic Eden sand in Canada

Willito
03-29-2016, 03:06 PM
I think this question was raised a few years ago and at the time no one in Canada was carrying this brand of substrate, is there anyone now? As far as I know there is one US vendor but shipping is around $100 for a 40lb bag.

Simons
03-29-2016, 04:04 PM
I never found anyone in Canada who carried it. I bought and shipped it up here about 3 years ago. I bought 4 x 40 lbs bags and I think the shipping was $50 if I remember correctly.

Jordon
03-29-2016, 04:14 PM
You should ask Ray @ Reef Supplies to carry it. If you post it I will back you!

I did the same as Willits and had it shipped from the US, but it was expensive. With the dollar now, it probably isn't worth it ATM.

Willito
03-29-2016, 04:16 PM
I assume you meant $50 per bag? That's not bad considering the weight. Was that shipped through US mail or Fedex/UPS? Would like to avoid the brokerage fee if all possible. Were there any issues clearing it with customs? Cheers

Simons
03-31-2016, 10:22 PM
I assume you meant $50 per bag? That's not bad considering the weight. Was that shipped through US mail or Fedex/UPS? Would like to avoid the brokerage fee if all possible. Were there any issues clearing it with customs? Cheers

I have to log in to check but I think it was $100 in total and it came DHL if I recall....no brokerage nothing. Not sure how it was set up but apparently they must have their own because I never got any additional charges. It was left on my front porch. Now I did order some other stuff through them so it was't 'just' the sand.

edit: I logged in and checked, I ordered 4 x 30 lbs bags of 2mm miniflakes and a bunch of other stuff the cost of the reef flakes was $159.96 but I ordered some other stuff as well so my total bill was almost $1K, shipping in total was $125 for the entire lot. Now, I am not sure if they give discounted pricing based on the size ($) of the order..but I would assume that was what happened with me, I ordered back in 2013.

Willito
03-31-2016, 10:40 PM
Thanks for digging up the info. They may have subsidized your shipping cost due the amount spent. Was it with Premium Aquatics? I just got a quote for one bag of 30lb shipping with USPS and Fedex and both are about $60-$70.

It's costly but going to bite the bullet. Anyone interested in splitting up shipping for a few bags, let me know. I assume shipping cost would go down a bit as we add more to the order.