PDA

View Full Version : Hair algea

Nemain
11-01-2004, 06:12 PM
If anyone has some hair algae that I can take from them to culture for my sea hair it would be much appreciated. The poor little guy has cleaned all three of my tanks of any bad stuff ( including cyano in the new tank o_O )

Beth

Delphinus
11-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Beth,

Not that this is what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention. I used to feed my seahare those little algae wafers. I forget what kind of algae they are made of but they're just called "algae wafers" (they're for herbivores and they're about 1/2" in diameter.) I would crush them up into smallish crumbs, then I'd have to hold them in front of him. It would have to be right in front of him for him to notice it though. I'd feed him at least a wafer or two every day or two.

I've since stopped feeding him directly because he has discovered the nori stick and will eat off that now. So if you can't find any hair algae, give this a shot. It took a while before he ever ate nori, but the algae wafers he took to, right away.

HTH and good luck. :biggrin:

Quinn
11-01-2004, 07:10 PM
That big gob from the move is still around, and eating nori? That's pretty freakin' cool. :cool:

Nemain
11-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Anyone know where I can get the wafers?

I hadnt even though of putting nori in there, I have a big bag of red. I will try to put it near him tonight =) He is so darn cute.

Beth

Delphinus
11-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Quinn, yeah, he's still around. :cool: I don't always see him now but I'll catch a glimpse every few days, and then I get all excited. "Hey there's Sluggo!"

Beth, I can't remember what the brand name is of the wafers I used. You should be able to find them at your favourite LFS. When I get home tonight I'll check the package and let know the brand name. But if you just asked for "algae wafers" they should know what you mean.

Unfortunately I don't recall precisely at what point mine starting nori. I always have a 1/4 sheet of nori in the tank (well .. maybe not "always" per se but I put ona new sheet at least daily .. sometimes 2x/day if the first one gets eaten quickly enough ... it doesn't take long for the tankmates to eat it down to nothing). But anyhow, it wasn't right away that it took to nori, perhaps several months. He must have just tried it one day and discovered that he liked it.

EmilyB
11-01-2004, 11:54 PM
They are spirulina wafers for plecos and stuff. Wardley is a good brand.

Invigor
11-02-2004, 01:21 AM
hikari makes the "algae wafers" as well

Delphinus
11-02-2004, 01:52 AM
They're not spirulina wafers although they look exactly the same as the spirulina wafers. I first tried spirulina wafers and he didn't take to them at all. The ones that he did take to are "Hikari Algae Wafers (for Plecostomus & Algae Eaters)". Looking at the the ingredients it seems as if it is made of a number of different things (spirulina appears on the list as the 11th ingredient).