PDA

View Full Version : Fin in Mouth Disease?

kris_willard
10-31-2004, 06:48 AM
I was just wondering of any had ever thought of doing this. If one of your fish were to "pass away" would it be harmful to feed its remains to the rest of the fish in the tank. In the wild I assume that this happens all the time... Any unforeseen problems with this?

BMW Rider
10-31-2004, 02:29 PM
My biggest concern would be causing an amonia spike due to the feeding frenzy. If its a small fish, it may not be an issue, but a larger one would be. I'd get it out of the tank as soon as I noticed it. I suppose you could portion it up and feed it back that way, thus controlling the waste volume and avoiding the spike. Just not sure how well I could handle mincing and chopping my once prized specimin. :eek: :eek: I think for the cost of food, I'll just continue to salute and flush the dearly departed.

kris_willard
10-31-2004, 05:57 PM
My biggest concern would be causing an amonia spike due to the feeding frenzy. If its a small fish, it may not be an issue, but a larger one would be. I'd get it out of the tank as soon as I noticed it. I suppose you could portion it up and feed it back that way, thus controlling the waste volume and avoiding the spike. Just not sure how well I could handle mincing and chopping my once prized specimin. :eek: :eek: I think for the cost of food, I'll just continue to salute and flush the dearly departed.
That is what i was thinking...chop it up and feed it to the remainder of the fish. This may make me sound cheap and im really not, but if im paying $60 for a fish and it kicks the bucket no sence in wasting it by throwing it in the trash?

danny zubot
11-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Better to feed it to them than eat it yourself! :razz:

AJ_77
11-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Do you gut it and clean it first? :confused: Scale it, fillet? What? How???

Kind of a bizarre plan... don't think I could do it.

j83
11-03-2004, 01:00 AM
You also have to think of why the fish died in the first place. Feeding a diseased fish to other fish probably isn't the best thing.