PDA

View Full Version : Slug, thing?

fortheloveofcrabs
10-31-2004, 03:30 AM
Hi,

Has anybody ever seen something in their tank that was the size, shape and color of an astrea snail, and was moving around on the glass/rock/whatever... BUT HAD NO SHELL?!?! It was the weiredest thing I've see todate in my tank... Any ideas?

mr_alberta
10-31-2004, 03:43 AM
I'm guessing its a stomatella sp. snail.

Keen
10-31-2004, 04:36 AM
i remember seeing something on what you are talking about. i have 2 in my tank as well. they are algea eater, and are good for your tank. every once in a while you will see them spit out a milky white substance, which is their way of reproducing. in most developed tanks though, it will all get eaten by filter feeders and such, so reproduction probly wont happer. here is the site with all the info about them, with some pictures.
http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/stomatella_varia.htm

Quinn
10-31-2004, 08:30 AM
I'll third that. They do seem to reproduce on occasion under the right conditions, eg. a refugium.

fortheloveofcrabs
10-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Awesome guys! Thanks a million. What an errie looking thing.

Oh! BTW, Harvey, the blue zoos opend up again. I moved them into a higerflow area and all is well now. Thanks again for them!

Bob I
10-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Stomatella are sure interesting. They have several colors, one of which is black. My 33Gallon semicube is polluted with them. I have tried moving them to my 52Gallon semicube, but they don't do nearly as well in that tank. :eek:

bulletsworld
11-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Yup, I got a bunch Bob, that were hiding in the Zoo's I got from ya. Me and Beth, sure had our yucky faces on, as we tried to figure out what heck they were. "No you touch it and see if its got a shell", "No you!" :lol: :lol:

Although after I put them in my 77gal I have never seen them since. Maybe their mating. :shocked!:

RobbAdams
11-18-2004, 06:34 PM
I thought I had the same thing as I notice what appeared to be astrea snails (2) wandering around Naked :shocked!: now a couple of months later they appear to be forming new shells?????? is this possible?

Robb