PDA

View Full Version : T5 ATI LED lights

Dearth
03-15-2016, 02:40 AM
J&L will be getting in T5 ATI LEDs this month and I am wondering if anybody here uses or has used these types of LEDs before

how deep do the lights penetrate the water?
Is the colour spectrum good?

Pro's
Con's

Thank you for any info

mrhasan
03-15-2016, 03:07 AM
Looks very promising but got a loooooooooooong way to even come close to what T5HO can achieve.

Right off the bat, here are the points that I can attest to (purely technical with my background in LED fixture manufacturing industry):

1. The color rendering index (CRI) is going to be crappy. T5HO produces 85 or above CRI while most of the consumer grade LEDs are all 70 - 75. There are LEDs which are 90+ but those are used in very expensive fixtures. I doubt whether they even used the 75 bins for these fixtures.

2. They are estimating that the initial lumen will depreciate by 85% in 8 years which is around 36,000 hours with a 12 hours of operation. Now a days, LED chips can go over 100,000 hours and depreciate to the end of life (70% of the original flux). Nichia LEDs estimate their LEDs can go up to 600,000hrs before 70% depreciated (calculated). So that again says that the LEDs are not of good bins.

3. LED fixtures provide strong punch into the water due to its uni directional nature and optics. To me, it seems like one or two separate LED light engines are positioned at either end of the fixture and the light is emitted through diffusion rather than direct light emission. If that is true, these things will not put any punch what so ever.

Overall, the fixtures are very neat and will take off in the market nicely. But it appears that there's a lot of rooms for improvement.

Please take my points with a grain of salt because I have been know to be wrong.

mrhasan
03-15-2016, 03:11 AM
Did a quick search and seems like they linear light engine within the tube, something similar to this:

http://www.szbvled.com/2-led-light/3-4b.jpg

So point 3 is not applicable :redface:

But it definitely won't give the punch of a LED fixture with optics.

Dearth
03-15-2016, 03:17 AM
Thanks Raied any input is good

mrhasan
03-15-2016, 03:23 AM
Thanks Raied any input is good

:mrgreen: Happy to give input; hopefully wont stir up too much dirt. If it helps, I use LEDs now :razz:

One thing that I will give to this fixture is the pricing is very aggressive. With 3 years warranty, you are definitely getting back your money unless you use it as light saber or search light under water :mrgreen: