PDA

View Full Version : Scratched glass

richtg
10-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Has anyone found an effective way to buff out scratches in glass? I thought of using automotive rubbing compound and a buffer.

Aquattro
10-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Pretty sure that will just make more scratches. I know of no economical way of removing scratches in glass, but maybe someone else has.

BMW Rider
10-29-2004, 06:45 PM
This might work for the outside. For the inside, you'd have to empty the tank.

glass polishing kit (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2024&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=glass+polish)

TANGOMAN
10-29-2004, 10:24 PM
I attempted polishing out scratches a few years back when I moved. I found no one who had success but of course that wasn't good enough for me... :rolleyes: .
I tried "jewelers rouge" and a buffing pad attached to a high speed drill. I spent nearly three hours out on the patio in early November determined to achieve a miracle. Fortunately it was just above zero degrees outside, otherwise it wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable. :rolleyes:
Once done, I thought I achieved something good. After the tank was filled I realized the only thing I achieved was allowing my new neighbours to see what a fish geek does when it's cold outside.
Live with the scratches or go for a replacement panel. But then again, that's just my opinion... :wink:

richtg
10-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks, guys. I am determined, as well, to remove this scratch. I'll definitely post later with my results.

Aquattro
10-30-2004, 01:32 AM
Good luck. Realisitically though, a new pane of glass wouldn't be that expensive! I don't want to stand in the way of determination though, so have at her!! :razz: