PDA

View Full Version : stocking fish in 75g help

Amadod2
03-06-2016, 12:22 AM
So im at the stage where my tank is ready for some fish, im just worried if it will be too much of a bio load, but i am going to be adding bio pellets to my system. If any of you have a fish recommendation that is a must have please let me know.

currently i have:

1-tamato clown
1-potters angle
1-watchman gobie
1-fire shrimp

i would like to add:

5-blue/green chromis
3-despar anthis
1-yellow wrasse
1-small tang (not sure on this one yet, maybe Kole)

albert_dao
03-06-2016, 02:57 AM
Skip the dispars. They have a subpar survival rate and are like crappy bartlett's.

Amadod2
03-06-2016, 03:38 AM
What would be a good replacement? I like their colour and how they swim together. Is there a better type of anthis?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-06-2016, 03:47 AM
Lyretails tend to be the most commonly kept anthias with a decent survival rate.

Coasting
03-06-2016, 03:48 AM
I didnt have any issue with my dispars until i killed them by wiping my entire tank. They were super easy to get onto pellets, only fed once a day.
What about lyretail?
Quite a few types of nice pink/orange anthias out there

albert_dao
03-06-2016, 04:15 AM
Sorry, I need to clarify my comment: Dispars are like a crappy version of Bartlett's.

Anyway, Lyretails:

http://saltwaterfishhaven.com/images/LyretailAnthiasM.jpg

Bartlett's:

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy200/fishtankprofiles/anthias.jpg

Both pretty nice, Bartlett's is quite a bit closer to the look of the dispar though.

Dispar:

http://www.kudalaut.eu/thumb/398/600/categorie-foto/37.jpg/Anthias-pinnarossa-Pseudanthias-dispar.jpg

spit.fire
03-06-2016, 04:23 AM
skip the 5 chromis, youll end up with 1 in the end

Coasting
03-06-2016, 04:27 AM
Dispars look like they got the start of a mullet going on with that dorsal....

Amadod2
03-06-2016, 07:48 AM
do most people have an issue with losing chromis?

spit.fire
03-06-2016, 07:49 AM
do most people have an issue with losing chromis?

chromis have an issue with killing eachother until there is 1 left

Amadod2
03-06-2016, 07:49 AM
can you mix different types of anthis?

Coasting
03-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Yes some people mix species, just make sure you only have 1 male.
Its generally recommended to do like 4+ or just 1.

Amadod2
03-06-2016, 04:26 PM
i read online that anthis also kill the weaker fish in the group, is this true? and if so which bread is less susceptible to this?

Coasting
03-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Well they could.... Their a typical schooling fish, if the fish is truly "weak" then theres a reason its being picked off. Otherwise the smaller one is usually the more bullied one, but they don't usually kill them off like chromis. But that's why it's best to have 4+ so the largest ones (the male) aggression is dispersed through more of the group. That's also why if you get multiple species of anthias, you don't get the largest one from each tank at the lfs, don't want to end up with all males :lol:

There were my dispars.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/zNewFishNewCoral015.jpg

Amadod2
03-06-2016, 04:43 PM
thats an awesome picture! So in a 75g 1 male to 3 Females would be best? im just trying to avoid buying fish that will eventually kill each other off. i am going to be quarantining them

Coasting
03-06-2016, 04:52 PM
That's what I would do.

Or just get 1.

I only have a single Lyretail in my tank right now. Had 4 or 5 to begin with but they were all wiped out by velvet or something brought in by a flame angel. Only the largest - the male - made it through, and he rules my tank.

Any Anthias I have had, I started them on cyclopeeze then just fed that with marine micro pellets after a few days so the fish are swimming around and gobbling up both, and then their 100% on pellets.

Amadod2
03-06-2016, 04:57 PM
sounds good, out of the dispar and the lyretail, which are better to keep, as being hardier with less problems?

Coasting
03-06-2016, 05:03 PM
sounds good, out of the dispar and the lyretail, which are better to keep, as being hardier with less problems?

Personal choice I guess.

I could say Lyretail as my guys going on 4 Years with me now, but all his girls I got with him all died from that outbreak. But that's not their fault, everyone but the male anthias and my sailfin blenny died from that. So I don't strike that against the anthias.

Both the dispars and the Lyretail I had were put on pellets just as easily.
I think the adult male Lyretail are stunning fish when they start turning red/purple, where as Dispars look like they have a mullet going on :lol:

In all honesty... I only picked those species because thats what J&L had at the time, and they were around $20 each, I wasn't spending more then that per fish :lol:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/IMG_5953_1.jpg

Amadod2
03-06-2016, 05:06 PM
how long did you have the dispar for? did you notice their colour ever go dull?

Coasting
03-06-2016, 05:15 PM
how long did you have the dispar for? did you notice their colour ever go dull?

I had them for a few months. They were nice and fat. All the same colour, but one was slightly bigger and you could tell he was the male for sure.
They died because of my own stupidity. I was still new at this reef thing. Bad waterchange, filled the tank too full (no surface agitation), water was cloudy, so many things I did wrong, woke up and everyone was dead. Goby, Clowns, Damsel, Anthias, scooter blenny.
I only ever fed once a day.

toytech
03-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I have 1 lyretail , 1 carberry anthia and they both hang out together , they both eat flake out of the auto feeder and are only fed once a day . I would say lyretail`s are very hardy once established and are fine single and mix just fine with other anthias .