PDA

View Full Version : 100% NEW Ice Cap / SICCE Skimmers in stock

Reef Supplies
03-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Hello everyone,

We are pleased to announce that we are stocking the full line of new Ice Cap skimmers.

We first saw these at MACNA and the build quality stood out right away. The PCV and Acrylic construction is amazing. The 3 larger units come with SICCE pumps! The PSK1000, 600 and 200 respectively.

http://blog.coralvue.com/wp-content/uploads/ic_skimmers.jpg

Pricing starts at $175.49 to $539.99

At $539.99 you're getting an extremely well built unit with an Italian made PSK-1000 pump that will easily handle 200+ gallons. Cant argue with that!

https://asp-pa-web-2-pavinthewaysoftw.netdna-ssl.com/product_image/asp_pa/500x500/10884.jpg

Full details here: http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Ice-Cap/

Thanks,
Ray

theokie
03-06-2016, 07:06 PM
I'm considering the K2-200 for my next build and I'm a little curious about the air draw and power consumption.... on all the product info for the skimmer its lists 1000 lph and 21watts. Though on the spec pages for the Sicce Pump the PSK-1000 is listed as 720 lph and 67 watts.

So is the ice cap running a custom volute or a customer motor block, as I'm going with a very large system, running multiple skimmers, and the LPH/Watt number is very important on this scale

Reef Supplies
03-07-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm considering the K2-200 for my next build and I'm a little curious about the air draw and power consumption.... on all the product info for the skimmer its lists 1000 lph and 21watts. Though on the spec pages for the Sicce Pump the PSK-1000 is listed as 720 lph and 67 watts.

So is the ice cap running a custom volute or a customer motor block, as I'm going with a very large system, running multiple skimmers, and the LPH/Watt number is very important on this scale

Looking into this. 67 vs 21 seems like a lot, as does 1000 vs 720. I'll get back to you

Reef Supplies
03-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Ice Cap and SICCE both confirmed the following to be accurate

Power Consumption: 21watts
Air Draw: 1000 lph / 35 SCFH*
Water Draw: 250gph

theokie
03-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Ice Cap and SICCE both confirmed the following to be accurate

Power Consumption: 21watts
Air Draw: 1000 lph / 35 SCFH*
Water Draw: 250gph

Then it appears there is nothing standard about the pump, as it blows the standard one out of the water...This is great to hear as nearest pumps to those numbers are hundred of dollars more for just the pump, not to mention that this price includes a skimmer.

spedly
03-19-2016, 09:18 PM
These look really nice. I'm thinking of buying the K2-200. I have a Trigger Systems ruby sump that has a fixed skimmer depth of 9.5". I only have 25" from the bottom of my sump to the bottom of the display tank so the height of this skimmer doesn't giver me a lot of room for a stand. Do you think this skimmer would operate OK in that depth? Since it's so new there's not a lot of info out there about them.

theokie
04-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Then it appears there is nothing standard about the pump, as it blows the standard one out of the water...This is great to hear as nearest pumps to those numbers are hundred of dollars more for just the pump, not to mention that this price includes a skimmer.

A member on here just received on of these new skimmers and is very pleased with it, though being semi skeptical on the wattage claim, I asked him to check its draw.

It is drawing .6 amps, which is roughly 72w, which puts it on par with a stock PSK-1000. This is a far cry from the 22w that they are using on all of their advertising material. I contacted Coralvue directly after I saw today that they are listing the stock PSK-1000 as the replacement pump. There is something a bit fishy going on.

Reef Supplies
04-03-2016, 08:46 PM
A member on here just received on of these new skimmers and is very pleased with it, though being semi skeptical on the wattage claim, I asked him to check its draw.

It is drawing .6 amps, which is roughly 72w, which puts it on par with a stock PSK-1000. This is a far cry from the 22w that they are using on all of their advertising material. I contacted Coralvue directly after I saw today that they are listing the stock PSK-1000 as the replacement pump. There is something a bit fishy going on.

Yeah, that is odd. They both confirmed the wattage when I emailed then last month. I'll dig a little deeper.

spedly
04-04-2016, 02:45 PM
That would be me. :) love the skimmer Ray, but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what you come up with. Would it be worth my time to submit a support ticket with CoralVue?

theokie
04-04-2016, 09:31 PM
That would be me. :) love the skimmer Ray, but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what you come up with. Would it be worth my time to submit a support ticket with CoralVue?

Probably not, as your pump is operating at the exact parameters that Sicce lists on the rating. This has something to do more with them inflating their numbers on the advertising.

Over on Coralvues' Youtube page for the skimmer I asked about why the sticker says .56 amp. as Watts = Amps x Volts so .56 x 120 = 67 w

apparently I have struck a cord with them, as they have responded.... I then linked to their replacement parts catalog where they list the PSK-1000 as 67watts.

theokie
04-04-2016, 09:59 PM
As per my discussion with Coralvue, the air draw goes up and the wattage goes down when you lower the water level. So based on your amperage readings I'd say your running a water level at the upper end of skimmers operating range.

I'll probably be buying one to try out before I jump in head first and buy 6!

here is the video of this skimmer and the exchange I had with Coralvue in the comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwBrD2_Leo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwBrD2_Leo)

Bugger
04-04-2016, 11:03 PM
What is the device you used when finding out the watteage used called.
I would like to see what the vertex omega pulls but it uses the same pump so it will likely be the same

theokie
04-04-2016, 11:05 PM
User Spedley used his apex EB8 to read the amperage draw of the unit, he measured .6 amps, which is approx 72 watts

a kill-a-watt is more accurate but costs like 30 dollars

Reef Supplies
04-05-2016, 02:23 AM
So I dug deeper. here is a statement directly from the top

"Please understand that the readings will very pump to pump but they will be within the ballpark listed. If you read the pumps with a Kill-a-watt you will see that the numbers are at or near the listed number on our website. Of course there are several factors that can effect the air and water draw which has an impact on the pumps wattage and power factor. Water (DOC and salinity), altitude. sump water depth as well as inner water level within the skimmer will effect air, water and wattage.

I have a K2-200 with a Sicce 1000 and a K2-160 with a Sicce 600 running here and tested them this morning with a kill-a-watt
The k2-200 is reading around 20-26watts while the K2-160 is drawing around 18-20watts depending on the water level within the skimmer.

Air draw has a big impact on the wattage draw of a given pump. Sicce does not provide a venturi for their skimmer pumps and the design of skimmers very thus the performance of their pumps will very by skimmer manufacturer. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions."

spedly
04-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Theokie, you are correct. I'm running mine in about 9.5" of water. The manual recommends 8"-10" I think. The water level of my skimmer compartment of my sump is fixed at 9.5" and I don't have the overhead to raise it more than half an inch. This just might be the way it is for me.

I'm going to wait and see how things are in a couple of weeks. I've only had it in my system for four days. Perhaps when it's broken in and not thrashing so hard the wattage will go down. Sometime before then I'll order a Kill A Watt device because this has got my OCD working and I need. Answers. Now.

Ray, thanks a million for going out of your way to get some information right from the top!

spedly
04-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Yes, it appears that as the pump breaks in that power consumption decreases. I just measured 0.4 amps, which is 48 watts. So definitely improving over time.

Reef Supplies
04-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Yes, it appears that as the pump breaks in that power consumption decreases. I just measured 0.4 amps, which is 48 watts. So definitely improving over time.

Thanks for the update!

Reef Supplies
04-15-2016, 03:20 PM
We just restocked, they are ALL in stock