PDA

View Full Version : biopellets?

brisco
03-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Thinking of starting up a biopellet reactor. I don't seem to have any problems with tank chemistry at the moment but I would like to increase the bioload in the tank. I have a 100 gal display and 25 gal sump. I run Rowa Phos continually (should I shut it off at times?) and often have a bag of carbon in the sump. Skimmer is a Vertex Alpha 170 and have a good amount of live rock. Dose 2 part. Bioload is 1 purple tang, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 bangai cardinals, 2 clowns, menanarus wrasse, 2 red spot glass fish, hermit crabs, 1 arrow head crab, snails, 1 blue spotted red starfish, 1 orange lipped conch, 1 Randells goby and pistol shrimp. Along with a mixed bag of corals soft, zoas, lps and sps. Any suggestions?

Currently my phosphate tests always at 0, but I don't test nitrates.

Bblinks
03-03-2016, 09:56 PM
I don't see any problems with you starting pellets. I would keep running rowa at a constant flow, start your biopellets at a 1/4 or 1/2 of the recommended amount, keep your alk between 7-9, 9 being the upper limits and leave it for 2-3 months, check weekly and make sure the tumble rate is decent, the more flow the better. I keep my outlet of the reactor near the inlet of my skimmer so the bacteria along with the excess nutrient will get exported out of your tank. It should be easy peasy. After 2-3 months, you can add more pellets, but you will need to test(NO3) and look at the tank and it's inhabitants (mainly corals) to gauge how much more pellets to add.

Forgot to mention that you can use MB7 or Zeobac to boost the bacteria population.

brisco
03-04-2016, 03:05 AM
Thanks. I do dose MB7 every week, but I am a lazy water changer. So do you think adding a small biopellet reactor will allow an increase in tank inhabitants? Does the reactor have to attach to the skimmer or is close okay? The reactor has to run continuously doesn't it?

Bblinks
03-04-2016, 05:27 AM
Thanks. I do dose MB7 every week, but I am a lazy water changer. So do you think adding a small biopellet reactor will allow an increase in tank inhabitants? Does the reactor have to attach to the skimmer or is close okay? The reactor has to run continuously doesn't it?

The reactors will have to run continuously and it just have to be near the skimmer inlet, corals can feed on some of the bacteria too. When it comes to more inhabitants(mainly fish) in your tank, theoretically yes but there are other things you need to consider like water change schedule, feeding habits and your maintenance support system. You will need to test to figure it out.