PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new tank

Griffin
10-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Hiya all - just looking for some advice before setting up a new tank (new to me tank). I have a 150 gallon, glass tank - not drilled, stand has a ton of room on the underside, it came with a eheim 2260, vortex diatom XL filter plus all hoses etc. Advice i am looking for is i have never had a sump or wet/dry sump, which should i concider - aswell should the tank be drilled for an overflow or are the hang-on overflows the way to go. Alot of people have personal preferance's but just searching for the best of all worlds. Any tips would be great.

Contents of my 65gal will be moving in to new tank (once established)which only consists of some clowns, mushrooms, foxface, hogfish, anenomes, brittle stars, blennie, urchin. Slowly add new soft corals over time.

I also do not have a ton of extra time to make my own sump with baffles etc so if anyone has one that would work with a 150g please feel free to message me.

Thanks in advance for the input and have an awesome day.
Rich

Aquattro
10-28-2004, 07:09 PM
I would set it up, move the stuff over and then use the 65 as a sump. The longest it ever took me to put a sump together with baffles was about 20 minutes + drying time. It's that easy.

As for drilling, absolutely. The tank is dry and empty, this is the time to do it. Make sure though that the company drilling it has a fair amount of experience, since it won't be gauranteed.

danny zubot
10-29-2004, 02:59 PM
With all of the technology one can put on, in and around a reef tank, it has quickly become my philosophy to keep everything as simple as possible. IMO drill the tank, and keep the sump design as functional.

Griffin
10-29-2004, 03:38 PM
thanks guys - now for the big question on drilling - i take it being tempered glass i cannot get the bottom drilled so a back glass external durso is what i had in mind. Figured one on each end but how far down from the top lip and how big should they be drilled? Which size pipe seems to work the best for flow? I really do appreciate this - i will be doing this right the first time so any proven methods are welcome. I search the threads and see some good idea's but not alot specific to a 150g.

Thanks again guys and gals :biggrin:

danny zubot
10-29-2004, 03:51 PM
First you must decide which pump you will using for the return. Then you can use the overflow calculator on reef central to determine the size of holes you need for the overflows. I usually say to go a bit bigger just in case you want to upgrade down the road. Personal preference will dictate how far down you want the holes because this will determine your water level in the tank. I have mine close to the top so you can't see the water line.