PDA

View Full Version : Alkalinity- calcium reactor

Gools
10-27-2004, 11:10 PM
I have my reactor going for over a week now, my alk is going up, but very slowly, is this normal, for a new setup? On the 23rd my Alk was 8.4. The 25th 8.8. and today 9.1.
I want it around 11. Do I just leave it. Or will it just keep going up? Also whenever I add Calcium to my tank, my Alk drops, is that normal?

StirCrazy
10-27-2004, 11:18 PM
I have my reactor going for over a week now, my alk is going up, but very slowly, is this normal, for a new setup? On the 23rd my Alk was 8.4. The 25th 8.8. and today 9.1.
I want it around 11. Do I just leave it. Or will it just keep going up? Also whenever I add Calcium to my tank, my Alk drops, is that normal?

first why are you adding calcium to your tank when you have a Ca reactor hooked up? and yes it will go up slowly untill you reach your desired level at which point you have to adjust the reactor to maintain and not increase.

Steve

Gools
10-27-2004, 11:57 PM
first why are you adding calcium to your tank when you have a Ca reactor hooked up? and yes it will go up slowly untill you reach your desired level at which point you have to adjust the reactor to maintain and not increase.

Steve[/quote]

I am trying to get it to the level I want it, around 425. From what I've read a reactor won't raise calcium levels it just keeps it constant. If I dont' touch my reactor, will my Alk just keep rising, or does it cap off at a certain point. I'm new to this whole reactor thing, Have been reading alot, but still confussed. Thanks

StirCrazy
10-28-2004, 12:42 AM
I am trying to get it to the level I want it, around 425. From what I've read a reactor won't raise calcium levels it just keeps it constant. If I dont' touch my reactor, will my Alk just keep rising, or does it cap off at a certain point. I'm new to this whole reactor thing, Have been reading alot, but still confussed. Thanks

ok, first Ca and Alk are inversly related to each other so normal sea water is say 390 ppm Ca and 8 ish Alk. if you raise Alk, Ca will drop, and if you raise Ca, Alk will drop. you can artificialy raise the levels but this is not as stable as a natural mixture. I would let you Ca be intill you see it start to drop below 380 and maintain you Alk at about 10dkh the Ca reactor should be able to hole both of them there no problem.

and for what its worth a Ca reactor will increase your Ca also but slowly.

Steve