PDA

View Full Version : Chemiclean

Steve...
02-23-2016, 02:56 AM
Had some issues with Cyano in my DT and treatment went well. I know that with the treatment, your skimmer goes crazy. After doing a 20% water change twice after the treatment, my skimmer is still going nuts and over flowing ! Has anyone experience similar issues? Im thinking I do more water changes until skimmer settles down. Advice?

mrhasan
02-23-2016, 03:51 AM
Had some issues with Cyano in my DT and treatment went well. I know that with the treatment, your skimmer goes crazy. After doing a 20% water change twice after the treatment, my skimmer is still going nuts and over flowing ! Has anyone experience similar issues? Im thinking I do more water changes until skimmer settles down. Advice?

That's very normal. Skimmer will keep on going crazy until you do some major water change. Running carbon actively can help too.

A trick that I found worked pretty well for me. I used to run the skimmer and kept on collecting the overflowed water using the drain pipe of the skimmer until it stopped overflowing and replaced the same about of water with brand new saltwater. Time consuming but worked within a 10% WC.

Reef-Geek
02-23-2016, 03:51 AM

After 20% wc I also replaced my carbon, 48 hours after wc and carbon, my skimmer went back normal, no need to do another wc, just fyi

Wheelman76
02-23-2016, 04:08 AM

I have the coolest trick that will have the skimmer working normally within an hour every time. (I can't take credit for this trick though , I think I read it somewhere on Canreef or reefcentral a long time ago.

What you do is take off the cup and put it back on at an angle so that there is 1/4" gap or so on one side of the skimmer where the cup connects to the body. If the cup wants to fall back down then just stick something thin in between the cup and the body. The idea is that most of the water will flow out the crack and back into the sump but the medicine is pulled out with the bubbles that still climb up the neck and into the cup. After an hour or so you should be able to tilt the cup a little more so that the gap is even smaller , and then shortly after you can put the cup back on normally and resume skimming.

I say 1/4" gap but every skimmer is going to be different , the gap might need to be a little less or a little more. Of course before doing this you're gonna want to turn the skimmer down all the way.

Hopefully that makes sense , if it doesn't then let me know and I'll do it with my skimmer and take a picture.

byee
02-23-2016, 05:36 AM
Thanks Jess for the idea!!

I'm going to have to try that the next time my skimmer goes crazy skimmer water.

gregzz4
02-23-2016, 06:08 AM
I too like Jess's idea, but have found that performing a couple WCs and running carbon is enough. Although I've only used Chemiclean once ...

Wheelman76
02-23-2016, 06:11 AM
To be clear I also do the recommended water change and run fresh carbon after the 48 hour Chemiclean treatment.

hunggi74
02-23-2016, 06:29 AM
To be clear I also do the recommended water change and run fresh carbon after the 48 hour Chemiclean treatment.
Scared of liability issues? Chicken! Lmao

Aquattro
02-23-2016, 02:08 PM
I do a WC, run lots of fresh carbon and tilt the skimmer cup until it settles down.

chefpaakk
02-23-2016, 05:50 PM
I just used chemiclean as well. It cleared up my tank beautifully. I had the same skimmer issues, but I rose my skimmer up, by putting a plate underneath it.. I was able to run the skimmer normally after that..

It's been a week and cyano is already returning even though it appeared to all be gone..

How soon before a second dose?

rishu_pepper
02-23-2016, 07:53 PM
I want to give a shoutout to Jess as I used Chemiclean once a few months ago, and the skimmer wasn't back to normal after 2-3 major WC and carbon, but one day after I did the skimmer cup tilt it was back to normal. Try it, it works! :biggrin:

brotherd
02-24-2016, 04:53 AM
That's very normal. Skimmer will keep on going crazy until you do some major water change. Running carbon actively can help too.

A trick that I found worked pretty well for me. I used to run the skimmer and kept on collecting the overflowed water using the drain pipe of the skimmer until it stopped overflowing and replaced the same about of water with brand new saltwater. Time consuming but worked within a 10% WC.
Yep.My experience as well.