PDA

View Full Version : Sodium Clog

reefwithareefer
02-22-2016, 01:07 AM
Does any one have the same issue as me. I dose my sodium every 4 hours. After a week or so the sodium starts hardening at the end of the tube, causing the tube to fully clog. I left the end of the tube out of the water and submersed it, either way it clogs.
Any solutions?

Not that I think it is relevant, but I use Randys 3 part, The tube ends for each part, are about 3 inches away from one another and each part is dosed hours apart from one another..

emerald crab
02-22-2016, 04:15 AM
I assume that you're talking about the alkalinity solution. My fix for the solution hardening at the end of the tube was to mount the ATO tube on top of the alkalinity one and slightly back. Whenever the ATO kicks in it rinses the end of the Alk one.

spit.fire
02-22-2016, 04:29 AM
I assume that you're talking about the alkalinity solution. My fix for the solution hardening at the end of the tube was to mount the ATO tube on top of the alkalinity one and slightly back. Whenever the ATO kicks in it rinses the end of the Alk one.

What if you top off is on a float valve ;)

albert_dao
02-22-2016, 04:31 AM
You can use a more dilute solution of sodium carbonate.

Animal-Chin
02-22-2016, 10:22 PM
I've been dosing for over 2 years and have never had build up. I'm guessing your ratio of sodium carbonate to water is to high?

reefwithareefer
02-23-2016, 01:48 AM

I use my ato to flush my auto feeder food supply into the return pump, so not really an options.

Thanks though...

reefwithareefer
02-23-2016, 01:51 AM
I've been dosing for over 2 years and have never had build up. I'm guessing your ratio of sodium carbonate to water is to high?

That falls into what Albert was saying as well.

I use 2 cups of sodium per gal of fresh water, as per Randy Holmes recipe, so not sure if it is too strong .....It does makes sense to dilute it down and dose more often. I will try that.

Thanks guys...

gregzz4
02-23-2016, 06:14 AM
Don't change your soda mix ...
I bake 2.25 cups/594grams of baking soda, then mix in 3785ml RO

I've had the ends of my dosing tubes plug up before.
Solved it by;

Run 3/16" ridgid tube before the outlet and place a 1/2" or longer piece of airline tubing on the end.
When it plugs up, massage the airline tubing to break up the crud, or replace the 1/2" tip.

gregzz4
02-23-2016, 06:33 AM
Can't edit

I bake 594 grams (approx 2.25 cups) of baking soda to make my own Sodium Carbonate. I don't count the cups but rather measure by grams.
I'm sure others have their own recipes ...

e46er
02-24-2016, 02:39 PM
I use randys receipe as well and my clogs up once a week or so as well. i also weigh it the cup method isnt that accurate

Animal-Chin
02-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Ah see, I use 8 tablespoons per gallon. So thats 1/2 a cup vs your 2 cups. I guess that makes the difference.