PDA

View Full Version : bubble tip help

donkey77
02-21-2016, 11:11 PM
I hate to do it but i need to kill 3 bubble tips, theres to many corals in my tank and there starting to sting so whats the best way to kill them, and no i can't take out the lr any ideas
thanks

mrhasan
02-21-2016, 11:12 PM
I hate to do it but i need to kill 3 bubble tips, theres to many corals in my tank and there starting to sting so whats the best way to kill them, and no i can't take out the lr any ideas
thanks

Why don't you just take them out and sell them or give them to LFS for some credit?

donkey77
02-21-2016, 11:15 PM
i have to much LR and there at the bottom, i'am not ripping my tank apart just to get the bubble tips out, way to much work

WarDog
02-21-2016, 11:22 PM
Direct a powerhead at one and be ready with a net. If you pi$$ it off enough it will detach and you can catch it. Might take some time but better than destroying a life.

msjboy
02-21-2016, 11:39 PM
also heard ice cube at the foot works. ... or offer someone to come for free bubble tip provided they know how to get it off the rock.

mrhasan
02-21-2016, 11:40 PM
Direct a powerhead at one and be ready with a net. If you pi$$ it off enough it will detach and you can catch it. Might take some time but better than destroying a life.

+1 to what Warren said. If you can't take it out, killing it will probably be in the "way too much work" zone too plus there is always that chance of nuking the tank while trying to nuke the anemones.

FWIW, AptasiaX will probably do the dirty job.

spit.fire
02-21-2016, 11:49 PM
+1 to what Warren said. If you can't take it out, killing it will probably be in the "way too much work" zone too plus there is always that chance of nuking the tank while trying to nuke the anemones.

FWIW, AptasiaX will probably do the dirty job.

killing them will most likely nuke your tank

donkey77
02-21-2016, 11:51 PM
trust me i don't want to do this, i might get one out

WarDog
02-22-2016, 01:39 AM
You should speak to Myka (Mindy) when she gets back into town on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm sure she can help. Seems like a waste to destroy 3 animals. Please don't get any dogs or cats. I say that totally in jest.

donkey77
02-22-2016, 11:08 AM
i love this hobby and don't want to kill anything
iam going to try one last time to get them out

The Guy
02-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Direct a powerhead at one and be ready with a net. If you pi$$ it off enough it will detach and you can catch it. Might take some time but better than destroying a life. I agree totally the power head worked for me, please conserve the life. :yo:

gobytron
02-22-2016, 04:24 PM
I think it's hilarious that people will condescend to someone for wanting to kill an anemone like a BTA but will readily destroy entire colonies of Mojano or Aiptasia...

It makes no sense.

mrhasan
02-22-2016, 04:31 PM
I think it's hilarious that people will condescend to someone for wanting to kill an anemone like a BTA but will readily destroy entire colonies of Mojano or Aiptasia...

It makes no sense.

1. Killing aptasia/mojano won't nuke your tank.

2. BTA is prettier than aptasia/mojano. No one likes to kill pretty things (apart from serial killers). People love eating salmon but they will feel bad for eating a pretty angel fish.

3. You can sell BTA but you can't sell aptasia/mojano.

4. Don't think anyone was condescending here. They were simply presenting ideas that might be worth trying before trying to kill an anemone. The same thing doesn't apply to aptasia/mojano.

Coasting
02-22-2016, 04:46 PM
2. BTA is prettier than aptasia/mojano. No one likes to kill pretty things (apart from serial killers). People love eating salmon but they will feel bad for eating a pretty angel fish.

I killed my RBTA on purpose..... :lol:

Craigdillman
02-22-2016, 05:42 PM
i havnet had to kill one but i had a ton in my tank that wonder around my sps i found a good way is

1) massage their foot and try to scrap it off the rock

or i have put a rock right on top of it after i massaged it and it retracted then tossed a rock on it and wait like 50% of the time the anemone moved around the rock and either was easier to remove or some even moved on the rock and i took the rock out and had a bubble tip for sale

gobytron
02-22-2016, 06:03 PM
1. Killing aptasia/mojano won't nuke your tank.

3. You can sell BTA but you can't sell aptasia/mojano.

4. Don't think anyone was condescending here. They were simply presenting ideas that might be worth trying before trying to kill an anemone. The same thing doesn't apply to aptasia/mojano.

1. Killing a BTA won't nuke your tank either. it can happen but it's more likely to be just fine.

2. So as long as something is uglier, it's okay to kill it?
That was precisely my point...this notion is hypocritical and hilarious.

3. If all you're concerned with is money, what value does any life have?
The issue isn't monetary gain, it's the question of the moral value of killing one type of life over another.

It's one thing to say "hey, that thing is worth money, don't throw it away" and it's another to say "hey, that is a life form and you are a bad person for ending it".

4. Plenty of condescending here, many posters are acting like he is doing something morally repugnant by intentionally killing a BTA or "taking a life".
Which does in fact similarly apply to the other anemones, Aiptasia and Mojano mentioned here. It's still a life of similar cognitive functions you are taking.

You can def make a case for monetary value and aesthetics but the people who get on their high horses and insinuate that someone who kills a BTA is somehow more morally culpable than someone who "just" kills Mojano or Aiptasia (which is all of us) at will is completely indefensible.

mike31154
02-22-2016, 10:33 PM
This thread needs a little lightening up....

https://youtu.be/Yxiv3CBMS4M

https://youtu.be/17ocaZb-bGg

donkey77
03-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Good news all
i didn't kill any bubble tips got 2 out still one to go
felt too bad to kill them, working hard to get that last one out

fishmanty
03-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Out of curiousity, what are you doing with them when you get them out? Giving them away to local reefers in such of BTA's? :D (If so I know a guy. Hint: Its me)

donkey77
03-12-2016, 12:57 PM
giving them away for free