PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been a victim of identity theft?? :-(

Delphinus
10-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Well, I guess since it's getting more and more common it's pretty much inevitable that something like this is going hit close to home.

So, has anyone else had to deal with this lovely situation? Looks like I could use some advice. :frown:

Lovely .... just freakin' lovely. :evil: @#$%^%!$&^%!!!!!!!!

mr_alberta
10-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Oh no! They got you! Sorry to hear that Tony. I hate f@#(*% thieves.

AJ_77
10-27-2004, 05:50 PM
No man, sorry - what did they get, a CC number?

Delphinus
10-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Yep, we're hit... :frown:

This is what I've figured out so far

- get a copy of your credit history from www.equifax.ca
- report it to the RCMP fraud/identity theft division
- report it to the city police
- report it to your banks, credit cards, etc.
- report it to human resources Canada (because of the S.I.N.) - I don't know a new one is needed yet, but what's happened is someone is using it
- you can get your credit rating file flagged so that if anyone makes a credit check for whatever reason, they have to call you in person to discuss it first. If it's not you that's applying, then you know something's up ...

So far the collection agency that has been calling us has not turned over the info to the credit rating bureau. They will await word from the creditor (in this case Telus).

What a headache! Sheesh. The lengths people will go to, to avoid paying for stuff in an honest manner.

Son Of Skyline
10-27-2004, 06:08 PM
That's just scary. Thanks for the info Tony. Good luck!

Beverly
10-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Tony,

How terrible for you :eek: Do you know how they got your info?

Delphinus
10-27-2004, 06:35 PM
No idea. The weird part is they got the SIN. ... Who has access to SIN's? It's not like you submit your SIN when you get a magazine subscription. The only thing I can think that I use it for regularly, is filing my tax returns. :confused:

Canadian Man
10-27-2004, 07:20 PM
No idea. The weird part is they got the SIN. ... Who has access to SIN's? It's not like you submit your SIN when you get a magazine subscription. The only thing I can think that I use it for regularly, is filing my tax returns. :confused:

All it takes is one disshonest person in the chain of a bunch to F*:&:^ someone over.

Sorry to hear that Tony :confused:

christyf5
10-27-2004, 08:04 PM
The college I went to used to use our SIN numbers as our student numbers :eek: Luckily none of the students were smart enough to steal them then :razz:

I hope things work out for you Tony. What a nightmare! :neutral:
Christy :)

JTrigger
10-27-2004, 09:11 PM
I was a victim back in 2001... royal pain in the @ss to call all the 3 major bureaus or whatever... then call everything else to get extra passwords placed on all credit cards, loan information, bank cards, everything, it is UNbelievably time consuming getting things straightened away, so believe me, I can empathize!... sheesh... and you feel so horribly used! They picked up mine because they had inadvertantly sent out a CC application to my old address in Los Angeles at undergrad (which had my SSN or SIN here) and the person had applied for the card, submitted a change of address, and the CC company from Texas called my mom in CA to verify my current address and bingo and she gave them my # in Canada and they called me and told me they tried to call the perpetrator at the number he listed and he screwed up because when they asked for my name he didn't recognize it, but then they said the were calling about a CC approval and the idiot said, oh yah, that's me and then hung up!

JT

impreza
10-27-2004, 09:57 PM
You would be surprised as to how much information online companies have. The resources they have access to are incredible. I work at an online money transferring service. Things are pretty secure usually, it really does depend on who you're dealing with. Their are many third party agencies that have databases full of information like a person's credit history. The reason their are so many resources for these online companies is because they need to be very careful and to prevent any kind of identity theft. However, their are always hackers out their lurking for important information.

Hope everything works out for you Tony

Cap'n
10-28-2004, 06:27 AM
That sucks.

I once had my bank card stolen and they somehow got my PIN. They deposited empty envelopes all weekend and spent all the imaginary money plus everything I had. I went to the bank Monday on my lunch break and reported my card missing (along with everything else in my wallet) and was handed a -$5000 statement!

The cops sighed, filled out the paperwork and said there was nothing they could do.

The bank said it was all my fault since I had signed away my rights when I accepted the privelege of using one of their convenience cards. The best they could do was offer me a good rate on a loan to pay back the bank!!
I don't deal with that bank any more.

impreza
10-28-2004, 08:30 AM
I also want to let you know that there is a 6month (180 BUSINESS DAYS!!!) grace period for you to issue a chargeback. In my experience, the credit card company never holds the cardholder responsible for transactions that the cardholder didn't authorize.

Delphinus
10-28-2004, 02:28 PM
If this was a credit card I'd probably have a bit of an easier time with things. Plus credit card companies are getting better at questioning out-of-character charges. I.e., they call you and ask "are you buying $10,000 of stereo equipment on your card? Because someone is trying that right now" and you can either say "yeah that's me" or "huh?! what the .. ??".

I wish merchants and utilities would be a little more dilligent about questioning and following up on checking the submitted facts when people apply for stuff. In this case right now, someone with just a modicum of information was able to pretend to be someone else and get a cell phone. The weird thing is they paid for it for the first few months and then at some point over the summer, stopped, and now Telus has sent out a collection agency against us to collect some $1000 in charges. :eek: I can assure you I do NOT owe Telus $1000.

The worrisome thing is, if someone was able to do this much, what else are they able to do now.

And another worrisome thing is that same darn collection agency called my home yesterday again and left a message, but this time asking for "Brad." So I'm thinking, what the heck now?!

(Brad, you pretending to be me again?! Stop that at once!!!! :razz: )

Ahhh ... what a nuisance. Personally I find this whole thing to be more along the lines of an irritance and an inconvenience. There are far more violative things that can happen to you. Unfortunately my wife is taking it quite a bit harder though. She's the actual victim and since she's always been so squeaky clean about money she's sort of taken it as some sort of attack on her character. Unfortunately, what's done is done now and now we just have to do whatever we have to to slowly crawl out of this. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse but at least now we know that something's up and we can do something about it.

Incidentally since the Telus person left a fictional billing address in Surrey, the city of Calgary police will have nothing to do with this case. They told us to talk to the Surrey police. Nice. .... Not surprising I suppose. What are they going to do anyhow.

Aquattro
10-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Tony, have you spoken to anyone at Telus? Maybe they have a security department that could easily trace back calls made from a cell phone. By contacting the people tht received calls, they should be able to figure out who made the calls. Explain what's happened and that you will not be paying for this. Also have internal Telus collections withdraw the account from the collection agency. Just keep hounding them until they give in.

Delphinus
10-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Yeah, Telus was one of the first places she talked to. Supposedly they will take care of the collection agency. Who knows how fast they get called off though. What I'm wondering if it's the same case or a different case that they're calling me again looking for "Brad". We shall see how it goes.

Apparently you can have your credit file flagged so that if there's any change to it, someone has to call you to verify. Now I guess my question is, if this sort of fraud is becoming more common, why aren't they automatically going to that sort of setup?

But then you know, cell phone merchants and utilities aren't doing anybody any favours by accepting these applications without going through a more rigorous verification process. It seems to me if they got more diligent, more of these cases would get nipped in the bud.

According to Human Resouces Canada, there's nothing that can be done to flag your file or whatever in the case that there's someone running around using your SIN. That's handy. :rolleyes:

Quinn
10-28-2004, 07:42 PM
And the Liberals want to give us all that one cover-all card. :rolleyes:

DiscusZ
10-28-2004, 09:29 PM
That Sucks Tony..

Since I have been a computer person since the mid 80's you learn alot of stuff, see a lot of stuff. We will not go into what I have done, or know :evil:

Check out

http://www.hackcanada.com/canadian/other/sin.html Its a very intersting read if your interested in the SIN

In have only hard of it happening.. Well once someone used my brothers credit card in California, yet he has never been there. He had a bitch of a time with VISA getting all the charges revoked.

Jim